NTSC-UK fishing club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTSC-UK fishing club

Anyone else here like to fish? If so what do you go for? What's your biggest fish? Care to share some tips? Feel free to post pics of your catches as well!

I'll start off with some fish I've had over the last few days after I decided to start up.

Yeah, they are small, but I'm happy as I'm a n00b!!!

Dinner yum.

Only tried once, but couldn't sit still long enough. End result is cool though.

Comment

Funny that there hasn't been a fishing thread yet- it's supposedly the number one solo sport in the country isn't it?

Anyhoo, I've fished since I was about 10 I think, so 22 years this year (though I haven't actually managed to get out much the past couple of years). Personal best, so far, is a pathetically weedy 15 lb mirror at the legendary Gorsty Hall, and that was yonks ago. Ages ago though I did catch a perch which was relatively massive at 4 lb-odd.

Weirdly I've been fancying getting out fishing agin lately with the warm weather and everything. These warm evenings are perfect for going out and battering the roach with casters. Mmm, casters.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Dinner yum.

Only tried once, but couldn't sit still long enough. End result is cool though.
        After blanking several times at 12-hour matches, it becomes a state of mind where sitting doing effectively nowt for that length of time becomes a weird kind of pleasure. **** it, I'm off to get half a pint of disco pinkies and a bag of hemp. Not drugs, fishing.

Comment

dont do it as much as I used too, and envy the english rivers (chub and barbel!)

My favorite fishing is tench, which I have caught upto 6lb. I love the effort of getting up early, having to take about 8 different baits because they can be so fussy and the excitment when you can see them feeding in the swim.

I curretly have a season ticket for the clyde which is nice for brownies in the summer and grayling in the winter.

I had a common in excess of 20lb from Lonsdale in Carlisle. As for local I will see if I can a picture of my 10lb common from the monklands canal

other highlights - as you can see Im no expert! I blame Scottish waters which are not just as good as english waters when it comes to coarse fishing!

Deadbait pike 12lb
          Spinner caught pike upto 1lb!
          Fly caught pike upto about 6lb
          fly caught brownies upto 1lb (but usually 1/2lb or less)
          fly caught grayling upto 1lb
          bait caught grayling over 2lb
          also had two rainbows over 8lb both fly caught
          Salmon estimated at 8lb caught on a 4 wt fly rod with 4lb line when fishing for grayling on the Earn!
          1lb cod from a fjord near stavanger Norway
          4lb coalie from the same fjord
          roach upto 1lb
          ide over 2lb
          perch upto 1lb - never ever managed to catch bigger perch and not from a want of trying

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
            After blanking several times at 12-hour matches, it becomes a state of mind where sitting doing effectively nowt for that length of time becomes a weird kind of pleasure. **** it, I'm off to get half a pint of disco pinkies and a bag of hemp. Not drugs, fishing.
            I used to be really competitive, but these days I am just glad to get out and would rather just have a nice day alone in a nice location than actually catch.

Im going upto the highlands this weekend, so its wild brownies ahoy in lochs where you wont see another soul. The brownies are so easy to catch out these waters and its great scenery.

Comment

If you fish the clyde you must have heard about the barbel that are being caught in several locations.

The story is they were brought back from england by some fisherman and released in the clyde a good few years back.

Comment

@FamiDude

Nice Chub mate! where were they from??

I grew up away from any children of my age so fishing & gaming have been my two hobbies since i was about 8/9

Tend to spend the majority of the winter after Pike and then the summer flitting between Tench on a local lake and Chub/Barbel on the rivers can't beat getting away from it all for a few hours after a rough day or week at work

James

Comment

@winky

I'd happilly swap a couple of rivers to be able to fish some of the fantastic lochs up there for Pike!

James

Comment

I can't wait until friday. A few of us are off to a local pond that's full of Koi, Common & Mirror Carp up to 20lb. Then on sunday, we're off to a stretch of river that's full of Barbel up to 8lb, Chubb to 5lb and Carp to 10lb+. When you see the Barbel in the clear water it's absolutely amazing.

Best fish this season from a river is a 4lb7oz Pike and best on canal is a 6lb Pike, both caught less than 4ft from the edge as I was about to take my line out..

Other than that, I had a Chubb at just over 3lb this afternoon, which was really nice. Fought like a beast and took what seemed to be an eternity to land. Much longer than any Chubb I've ever had.

Those two in the pics were from the same peg but caught with totally different tactics. The first was caught on spinner while doing a bit of Perch bashing and the second was three maggots surface fished on a size 14 hook.

Endo: a 4lb Perch is a nice fish. Only ever had a couple that were over 2lb.

Comment

Originally posted by losersclub View Post
                      @FamiDude

Nice Chub mate! where were they from??
                      A stretch of the River Soar, between Loughborough and Leicester, right under the railway line. Probably the best stretch of river in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by FamiDude View Post
                        Yeah, was quite a few years back now though. When I lived up north I used to go fishing all the time since I was (and technically still am) a member of a club with its own lake (where said perch was bagged). There are dozens of sweet fisheries (largely catering for specimen carp hunters nowadays though, it has to be said) in that area.

I'm visiting the folks in Ireland next week, so I'm hoping to get out with my Dad- he's fished all over and had some monster pike over there. I know it's not really the time for pike, but I haven't caught one for yonks so it'll be nice to have a go.

I remember fishing a river in Portadown about 10 years ago. Constant police helicopter, army vehicles and the remnants of the previous night's rioting. Sketchiest fishing session evar

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                          I know it's not really the time for pike, but I haven't caught one for yonks so it'll be nice to have a go.
                          At the minute, it's impossible not to get a Jack, no matter what you're fishing on. I've had them take maggot, spinner and numerous small perch and roach I've been reeling in.

I'll probably have one this evening if I spin for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by JB@XL View Post
                            If you fish the clyde you must have heard about the barbel that are being caught in several locations.

The story is they were brought back from england by some fisherman and released in the clyde a good few years back.
                            Yeah I have heard and never believed it for years. I have spotted a few coarsy types sitting on the bank at a few spots with what looks like avon type rods.

I might try it this summer but they are not easy to catch.

I tried fishing the Nidd near york two years ago but afterr two days of no bites we gave up and went to the local carp fishery.

My mate text me today to tell me he got a 7.5lb tench Thats an excellent fish from a scottish water.

Comment

Originally posted by FamiDude View Post
                              I would go as far to say a 4lb perch is a fish of a lifetime! grats.

Comment

Working...
                              X