Blu-ray's to miss thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray's to miss thread

I've been caught out a few times by blu-ray releases of some of my favorite movies that have literally been crapped out by the studio's. Sometimes it's just a quick cash in to coincide with a sequel, a rush job for crimbo or they can't be arsed to put any effort into the disc whatsoever.

I want to try and compile a list of these lackluster BD's. It's time to name and shame! Name what you can and we can discuss whether it should go on the ****-list and i will update the initial post.

Robocop
    Predator
    The Fifth Element (first release)
    T2 (original release)

Predator isn't all that, but for the £6 I paid for it it was a worthwhile improvement over the DVD. Apparently, given the shooting conditions, it's unreasonable to expect much more from it.

The most pointless blu I own is 28 Days Later. Aside from the bump to the sound, it's completely unworthwhile, obviously.

Comment

Escape From New york

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear View Post
        I've been caught out a few times by blu-ray releases of some of my favorite movies that have literally been crapped out by the studio's. Sometimes it's just a quick cash in to coincide with a sequel, a rush job for crimbo or they can't be arsed to put any effort into the disc whatsoever.

I want to try and compile a list of these lackluster BD's. It's time to name and shame! Name what you can and we can discuss whether it should go on the ****-list and i will update the initial post.

Robocop No extras but a true to source transfer
        Predator No extras but a true to source transfer
        The Fifth Element (first release) Yep
        T2 (original release) UK disc has a picture much better than the Skynet disc
        Worst discs for me are:
        Zulu DNR
        The Italian Job DNR
        Dark City DNR
        Patton DNR
        The Crow 1080i
        Gangs Of New York EE
        The Dark Knight A starved AVC encode with bad EE on all the Imax shots and some colour timing changes.
        Halloween Colour timing changes
        Evil Dead II DNR
        Dawn Of The Dead DNR
        Day Of The Dead DNR
        Escape From New York 480p upconvert
        The Star Trek Movie Collection DNR

Originally posted by anephric View Post
        Predator isn't all that, but for the £6 I paid for it it was a worthwhile improvement over the DVD. Apparently, given the shooting conditions, it's unreasonable to expect much more from it.

The most pointless blu I own is 28 Days Later. Aside from the bump to the sound, it's completely unworthwhile, obviously.
        28 Days is perfectly transfered, and for me that is all I look to from BRD

Comment

Equilibrium. Amazing film! Some great action scenes, Christian Bale, Sean Bean and Sean Pertwee. Watched the DVD so many times I swear I could act out a gun kata!

Bought the Blu-ray, put it on, held my breath in preparation for the hi-def loveliness and wept. Absolute crap. Might as well have put the DVD on through composite on my LCD.

Comment

Thats a good one too, should be 2.35:1 and the disc is 1.78:1

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
              28 Days is perfectly transfered, and for me that is all I look to from BRD
              You say that, but it was pretty much "perfectly transferred" on DVD, hence theoretically it's pointless, apart from the sound bump.

I've read the fuss about Zulu, and whilst DNR is evident, in a lot of places it still looks pretty stunning. Saying that, I can understand why people are upset by it. It's far from the worst example of DNR I've seen, though.

It's also a bit hard to argue Robocop's "true to source" when the additional DC material looks worse than the last DVD transfer did.
              Last edited by anephric; 01-07-2009, 22:31.

Comment

I would agree with The Dark Knight being of questionable quality.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject of visuals, but something REALLY didn't look right about the bank scene at the opening of the movie (apparently one of the better ones in the movie - wtf). Seemed to look ALOT better on the preview bonus feature on the Begins blu-ray.

Comment

Eh? I watched that bank scene last night. Looked amazing!

Comment

On the Batman Begins disk it does

On the Dark Knight disk, debateable.

Comment

im only just entering the world of hd movies and this could amount into a very handy thread

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
                      T2 (original release) UK disc has a picture much better than the Skynet disc
                      dont suppose you know of any where that compares stuff like this? if i buy a movie i want to make sure its the best version going

Comment

I've always used www.dvdcompare.net, but they don't always have everything in there. Would be interested to hear of other similar sites as well.

Comment

dvdbeaver?

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
                            im only just entering the world of hd movies and this could amount into a very handy thread

dont suppose you know of any where that compares stuff like this? if i buy a movie i want to make sure its the best version going
                            Avsforum look for xylon's comparison threads

Comment

DVDBeaver is OK for HD captures (although they're recompressed), but take their SD DVD comparisons with a grain of salt. The process they use to take the screen grabs softens the images somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                              X