N64 RGB mod. help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 RGB mod. help needed

Got myself a US N64 but it's the newer model which can't be RGB modded.

What I need to know is the model number's of the N64's which can be modded.

If you've got one that's modded could you please let me know the model number or if you know of a list could you please post it.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Hitcher
    Got myself a US N64 but it's the newer model which can't be RGB modded.

What I need to know is the model number's of the N64's which can be modded.

If you've got one that's modded could you please let me know the model number or if you know of a list could you please post it.

Thanks.
    NUS 001 series is fine for the RGB mod -

Comment

Try emailing Raven Games with your serial number, they will tell you if it can be modded. They wouldn't tell me the range of serials that would work though. Of course don't get it modded by them - they charge an extortionate ?40

Details here:

I've got a :

NUS-001 (USA) serial: NS127959472
      and a:
      NUS-001 (JPN) serial: NUJ10529112

Both modded with the link method (no amp) and both bright and perfect

Comment

Bruv you havent got a spare mains adaptor have you?

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
          Bruv you havent got a spare mains adaptor have you?
          Afraid not mister. I'll let you know if I come across one.

Comment

I have a spare mains adapter Saur - on my way out to pick up a GBA SP now but will PM you later

Comment

Oh dammit. I presumed all Ntsc ones could be rgb modded. Tokuda is sending me a 2nd hand one from Japan. Anyone know any websites that list which ones can be modded? Thanks

Comment

Most likely it will be fine

Where are you guys taking the RGB from? It's not worth taking it directly from the video chip. There are 3 points on the underside of the motherboard (R8, R9 and R10) it's MUCH better to take the RGB from them.

Comment

The one I have is NUS-001(USA), serial number NS231845852, but looking at pictures on gamesx the chip in that position is labelled U1 and has 32 legs.

Comment

The N64 diagram on Gamesx is complete garbage, infact MOST of them are complete bollox. There is ALWAYS a better way to do mods compared to what they show (especially the Saturn, N64 and PC Engine stuff)

Your machine IS fine for an RGB mod - you need to take the signals from R8, R9 and R10 under the video chip (reverse side of board)

The RGB mod method they are using is complete **** as the signal needs to be amplified (even tho they claim it doesnt). There is a resistor near the 3 'R' points which you must bridge to another point - this boosts the RGB signal you get from the 3 'R' points - connect them to the correct AV pins and you're in business.

I havent yet come across an NTSC N64 I cannot RGB mod - and I've done LOADS.

Comment

Working...
                    X