Jake Hunter Detective Chronicles (DS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jake Hunter Detective Chronicles (DS)

Been playing this for the past few days and thought I'd start a first play thread on it.
    Basically, for those that haven't seen it, this is a text adventure game for the DS in the same sort of vein as Hotel Dusk and to a lesser extent, the Phoenix Wright series.

I'm playing the US version which, although only $20 new, (?10!) only features 3 cases compared with 6 in the Japanese original.
    That aside, I have found myself really enjoying this despite the fact that I started it with quite low expectations.

It's nowhere near as engaging, humorous or well presented as the Phoenix Wright games and doesn't have the exploration elements of Hotel Dusk but does have its own identity and Jake is, IMO, a very likeable character.

Gameplay involves you taking on a case and having to solve it. In between, you will need to travel to different locations, talk to people, investigate things and so on. It's all very easy as even if you pick a wrong option from a list of choices, there's no penalty such as the 'health meter' in the PW games.
    The first case took me a little over an hour to complete so it doesn't look like this will last me long but as I said, IMO there's a great hard-boiled private eye thing going on here with Jake and I've grown to like him, despite the lack of characterisation.

So, for anyone who enjoyed PW and/or Hotel Dusk and is looking for something similar but lacking the production values of those 2 games, this is well worth a look. For a tenner you can't go wrong really!

Anyone else playing?
Working...
X