No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I've had enough of this ****. I'm not even going to bother finishing it. This is one of the worst Metal Gear games I've ever played. Worse than the DOS port of the NES port of the MSX original.

I constantly have crappy equipment. So I'm forced to replay the same, boring levels, over and over and over again to slowly level them up. I am in effect equipment grinding through the same dull missions with exactly the same mission goals in the same recycled environments.

This is not a Metal Gear Solid game. In a real MGS if you want equipment, you storm a jungle base, shoot it out, knock some dudes out and claim your prize: a heavy cal machinegun or something. In every previous instalment each item was the result of a hard fought battle, and it felt like a triumph. Well, except for MGS4, but still. When you got a new toy in previous MGS games it was jubilation.

In this, a new item is the result of moving Hippo from the kitchen to the lab, and Kitty from the lab to the mercs, and then replaying an extra mission 3 times so a PERCENTAGE NUMBER slowly crawls up. And then you get a gun which is still crap, but incrementally less crap than your previous gun. Presumably if I do this routine A MILLION TIMES I will end up with something which isn't utterly useless.

This is terrible, terrible, terrible. I just can't stand it anymore. There are no victories in this game. No sense of accomplishment. No rewards. I have been stuck with the same piece of **** RPG launcher since the start, and it does **** all damage to those robots.

I am also sick of fighting robots, again and again and again. MGS, contrary to its name, has never really been about the Metal Gear robots. They're usually the most boring fight in the game, since it stands at one end and you stand at another, firing missiles until one dies. Real MGS is about ninjas, snipers, fat guys on rollerskates, vampires, dudes who shoot bees out of their mother-****ing mouths, and invisible tentacle monsters. Peace Walker is just one recycled robot after the next.

Good lord, I haven't hated a game this much in a long time.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 26-11-2010, 20:49.

Comment

This is on offer on PSN at the moment for £16, tempted to pick it up at that price, and reading through this thread it is mostly positive reviews, except the post previous to this. Anymore negative or positive players out there?

Comment

This would've been my game of the year, if it wasn't for Bayonetta & Vanquish trumping it.

It's definitely worthwhile, and no way is this a true like-for-like Metal Gear Solid games of the past in terms of the versatility of Naked Snake. For example, you can't peek round corners and shoot/ lay prone and crawl. Or crazy bosses (as the ones you'll be up against here are mechanized) but pretty much everything else is in there.

Just to reiterate my previous post about the game:
        Originally posted by jimtendo View Post
        Unless you're willing to spend an exorbitant amount of time:
        • micro managing MSF base personnel
        • spending lots of time replaying stages to bump up the R&D percentage
        • farming certain stages to get the best personnel for their department
        • S-Ranking various Ex-Ops to get access to better weaponary and gadgets

Then this wont be for you.
        A lot of the game will be managing the soldiers you capture and shifting them across different departments, so you can research and develop different weapons/ gadgets.

The aspects I love about the game are:

Co-operative multiplayer
        Whilst the single player portion is locked to two players only, the boss battles can accomodate three to four. At the moment I'm helping my bro out, and co-op is a right hoot.

The immense amount of weapons and gadgets to play around with
        Though for some reason in previous Metal gear Solid games of past, I never really faffed around with a lot of the weaponary. But with Peace Walker (more than likely due to co-op) I've been playing around with everything. Much like the extensive arsenal Guns of the Patriots gives, Peace Walker might possibly top it.

Be warned though. Pretty much all the god weapons and gadgets, such as the legendary

bandana, stealth camoflauge

as well as the top rocket launcher (M47) amongst many other secret assault rifles/ pistols/ sniper rifles require that you S-rank certain EX-Ops to at least gain access to research them. So pretty much all those are end game weapons.

If anyone wants to co-op via Adhoc Party, I'm cool to help out.

Comment

Working...
        X