Gunblade NY & LA Machine Guns (Wii)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunblade NY & LA Machine Guns (Wii)

My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday morning and I played through both games tonight using the freely available credits.
    I was a big fan of Gunblade in the arcades and pumped many a coin into it back in the day.
    The port is spot on as far as I can remember. I was playing with the HOTD hand cannon peripheral. Yes the game does look old now but the monochrome textures on the model 2 board don't seem to be a problem under closer scrutiny. The music is very reminiscent on Virtual On and the SFX are suitably chunky. The gameplay is probably about as simple as a light gun game gets but the pacing and swooping camera angles make it seem so much more involving.
    It's certainly aged better than I thought it would.

As for LA Machine Guns I'm a newcomer to this particular title and already I'm a fan. It takes the existing formula from it's predecessor and just adds more of everything. The model 3 hardware allows for loads more action on screen, better visuals, similarly catchy tunes and a combo system for chaining shots. Also now your accuracy means a bit more as there are some hostages and civilians to avoid hitting.

Seeing how far i can get on one credit is going to provide serious replay value here i think.

?12 for this pair is an absolute bargain. Come on Sega lets see a Virtua Cop pack next.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I also have this. But Metroid arrived at the same time. So that's been hogging the Wii's disc slot.

Comment

I loved the Gunblade NY arcade too and was well chuffed at the news of this release.

For some strange reason, before playing, I was half expecting it to look more like a Saturn game than the arcade, BUT it's captured the Model 2 look really well (probably not too tough for hardware these days, I know, but it's nice to see it intact).

Playing with the Zapper it gets surprisingly close to the feel of the arcade too. Only sticking to 1 credit at the moment to make it last. Then once I nail it, or get close enough, I'll move on to LA Machine Guns (never played it before so really looking forward to that one).

Longevity might be a concern for some but for the price it's a total bargain.

Comment

Gunblade was always one of the most immersive shooters in the arcade, really made you feel like you were on a helicopter shooting a big ass gun.

Comment

Only played LA so far, but...

The best things about this:
          Whenever you take damage, the remote burps at you.
          It's illegal to take your finger off the trigger.

Poor:
          It's not clear which missiles are going to hit you because the heli is swinging around so much, but sometimes missiles coming right at the screen miss and other times, ones that look like they are going off the edge get you.
          Also the heli flies right through solid structures sometimes.

Comment

Just realised there's a combo gauge (in LA) which reduces fast. You have to shoot *something* before it runs out. You can validly shoot ...cars... heheh wtf.

I'm 60th best in the world on my 3rd go. I don't think many people have this.

At first go, I thought I've wasted my money. Now, I'm getting into it, it's pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
            X