Fling Smash Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fling Smash Wii

So, Fling Smash on the Wii. Strangely compelling this one. That's when I could get a go - my son was hogging it for a while. It's like breakout with a bat!

It came with a Wii Motion Plus controller in the box.
    Shopto have it for a decent price. I got mine from www.videogamesplus.ca

You use the remote to fling your "zip" hero ball across (or sometimes up) the screen. It's very accurate so it goes in the direction you fling. You don't have to move much though which is good.

Blocking the way are er... blocks. Hitting them destroys them. Lots of combo and pinball style tweaks along the way to increase the score (rank at the end of each level) - basically the more accurate and fast you can be, the better the score. Flailing around will not equal a win because to complete the level you have to collect at least 3 medals - harder than it sounds because medals are protected so can't always just be grabbed along the way.

Some devious bouncing is required at points to get around the back of stuff or to get objects in a specific sequence (signposted, so obvious what to do - just needs accuracy).

If you hang around thinking for more than a few seconds you get eaten. By a dragon. Pretty funny.

Sometimes instead of flinging you have to hit zip (or his girlie friend) with a wand (bat) - I'm not convinced there's any actual difference here apart from visuals - I'l report back when I've thought about it some more.

You can stop mid flight, which I haven't mastered yet (just press A).

Powerups - haven't tried these yet, but look like the usual breakout style powerups (bigger, split, power shot every time and er... fireworks). You can powershot by waiting a couple of seconds before flinging too.

Hit all the lights in a group to score bonus.

Hit a gem switch to turn all blocks to gems briefly.

No idea how big the game is yet, but I'm guessing S ranking is the challenge here.

The main attraction here is the need to think carefully while frantically trying to progress and being accurate at the same time. Don't panic unless you have to!

Funner than I expected.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I'm looking around at reviews of this and many are saying the control is broken and it's over too quick.

It also doesn't help that the game's over in a couple of short hours, with only the promise of additional mini-games that continue the tremendously dull "swing" mechanic.
    I'm guessing from the vague wording that this person found it too hard and never unlocked any of the mini-games (A-rank a world of three levels) and there's no mention of the super-hard levels unlocked by S-ranking a world either.

Practice is needed to understand how the controls work and I reckon most people will spend 5 minutes, go "wtf, stupid broken kiddy game". Shame.

Comment

Man alive, S-ranking levels is tough. You have to grab almost every available bonus which means an almost perfect run. I've done it on a couple of levels but I need to use the trajectory cancel more often I think. Ploughed a good few more hours into this but it's going to take forever to S them all.

There are 8 worlds with 3 main levels each (and allegedly an extra S level for each world).

Comment

Not safe for work commentary NSFW. Whilst it's nsfw, it's pretty hilarious

But... Check out this awesome 2 player minigame. 4-5 mins in you can smell the fear and the joy!

I've managed to S-rank 2 levels in the same world now with just 1 to go to unlock the special stage. Thought I was breezing the 3rd, but sneaky point target increase. Gah! When I did the 2nd level in the same world, I was shaking with concentration.

Man, the internet is full of people slating this. Their loss. Lots more reviews that mention minigames but don't describe ANY of them - i.e. they never even bothered going for the A-ranks. The internet is full of lame reviewers who don't play anything properly.
        Last edited by charlesr; 19-11-2010, 16:57.

Comment

Might have to have a peek at this. Although I can hear my backlog straining the floor supports from here...

Comment

I plan on picking this up if it gets released over here. Looks like a bit of fun

Comment

@mekanor: dude, it came out in pal land yesterday!

Comment

Working...
              X