Epic Mickey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Mickey

My mate recently got a promo review copy through and while initially saying I'll have 'quick go', it turned into about 90 minutes of fun-filled mouse magic.

While comparisons with Okami seem to be obvious, I'd argue the 'painting' element is more comparable to Mario Sunshine. While not a fan of the latter title Epic Mickey works very well due to the Wii's pointer. And overall is a far better experience than the Wii's translation of Okami.

The initial videos claimed you could create the landscape how you wanted. While this isn't strictly true each level seems to allow scope to change the world for good or bad (a message appears informing you have damaged the world), although how this affects the overall game is, after only three levels, unclear.

The game plays similar to Mario Galaxy, incorporating the spin attack, initiated in the same way although here it seems slightly less responsive. Simialr you can 'bum-bounce' the enemies or attack them with a choice of paint brushes, one which dispatches them and another which positions them as an ally.

The levels are well structured and give ample opportunity to tackle them in a a range of different ways, for example freeing certain characters allow an easier time through the levels. The levels do feel a tad sparse, with enemies not too much of a threat, but the feel of the game and the storyline pushes you along nicely.

It does seem a lot of emphasis has been put on 'choice' or the illusion of 'choice', as the game is still fairly linear in its path through the level - something which I actually prefer as the grandscale of GTA which frightens me a bit!

Overall I was surprised how addictive this is and I'd give it a high recommendation. Would be nice to see this appears on the PS3 using Moove, as the graphics are lovely, but that seems unlikely!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

I really want to talk about this game but I won't until Warren Spector has my monies.

All I'll say until then: Game of the year contender.
    Last edited by abigsmurf; 21-11-2010, 22:22.

Comment

This does look interesting. Havent enjoyed a Mickey Mouse game since Castle Of Illusion & Donald & Mickey on the megadrive.

Comment

I've played this twice now and I just don't get it. It plays like Marion Galaxy crossed with Okami and so, you'd think, be excellent but I've come away underwhelmed and bored after playing.

It does look very pretty (not just "for a Wii game" either) but the actual game is just another generic 2D platformer.

Comment

From what I have played, it is really odd and mixed bag. I really like the level design, but in the other hand, camera and physics are pretty sloppy. It really feels like whole game is stuck in early-2000's. It's like mix between Rayman 2 and Banjo-Kazooie.

Comment

Don't judge this on the first hour. The game opens on a really uninspired, generic level and you're interupted every 10 seconds for obvious tutorial stuff. After that the level design really impresses.

The mountain level blew me away. So much attention to detail.

Comment

Enjoying it so far, although it does jump in difficulty at points - too easy then fairly hard. Was expecting more from the paint/thinner, too much of just spray all this good stuff and not enough shaping of the world.

Cool to pick out the different rides/locations/references, will deffo pick up one of th e guide books for the background info on the game.

The black and white sections are really well implemented, capturing the film like quality of the originals. Shame they are so short though.

Camera is a bit wild sometimes but mixing up 2d and 3d platforming is never going to be easy.

Comment

Opened.

Comment

Fifteen odd hours in. At the last section. Why won't this **** end.

(More tomorrow.)

Comment

Working...
                  X