Shaun White Skateboarding (360/PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaun White Skateboarding (360/PS3)

Picked this up for £9.85 from simplygames (360) and for that price I can't help but feel it has been worth it, from the 2 hours I have put it so far its pretty good stuff.
    PS3 version is still on sale BTW.
    SimplyGames - UK's top destination for the latest PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch, and PC titles. Dive into a vast selection of gaming consoles and accessories.

Initally saw the dev footage of this at E3 and thought this looked like old school Tony Hawk with a cool idea/twist of deformation of terrain as you play and a silly "Free Your Mind" story.

The world you live in has been sucked dry of colour and everyone has to conform to 'The Ministry's' way of thinking, Shaun White is the only legend left fighting against this power but at the start of the game he is caught and taken into custody by The Ministry.
    So you go and recover his board, apon doing this Shaun tells you to use his board to free people from The Ministry. When you pick up his board, on it are the words 'Free Your Mind' after this colour starts to appear where there once was only grey and you then become the wanted man.

You have a Flow Meter which fills in different colours that corrospond to the colours you require to free an area. 1st is Yellow and 2nd is Blue, so you will see Yellow/Blue people and areas you can trick around to free. The more tricks you perform the more your Flow Meter fills and changes colour, if you bail a trick it resets the meter.
    Then along comes Shaping, there are various areas (Rails/Ramps/Street Areas) in green/blue which you can grind/jump/ride to Shape, they will take you a specific area and you can gain access to higher areas via this way, this is also called Simple Shaping as it's on rails. I recently unlocked another kind of Shaping which involves moving the analog up or down to go in that direction, so you have some kind of movement with these Shaping routes.
    I have recently unlocked pre-set challenegs whihc are dotted around the map, the first one I completed was land 21 Grabs in 1:30mins for a gold medal, you recieve more XP to spend when you do these missions, XP helps you buy new tricks and items for your skater.

So far it's quite a big map and I have been jumping around nearly everywhere trying to colour it all in. If you like old style skateboarding games it is well worth a look, surprised no one has started a thread yet or picked up the game, I would recommend it.

Another vid of walkthrough.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I gotta say no thank you to this game. Played it briefly & totally hated it. clunky controls & no need for any skill just like thps became, which was a total fantasy game.
    Will stick to the Skate series as its actually challenging & allows complete freedom of creativity.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on the game, hadn't really noticed it before but quite enjoyed his snowboarding game. It wasn't perfect but I did find it to be fun so can't say no to this for that price.

How difficult are you finding it is to pull off the tricks? Does it use both sticks or a combination of the left stick and buttons as the basic control method?

EDIT:
      Not used SimplyGames before, I presume they're trustworthy?
      Last edited by JP; 12-12-2010, 17:03. Reason: .

Comment

That was my first order with simplygames so I used PayPal and got the game fast with no issues.
        You have to purchase new tricks with XP, they are easy enough to master at the moment and chain together. The character feels quite heavy at the start so there's no 40foot sky high half pipe action, yet although may never happen. You can get some extra height when you push back and forward before hitting a ramp.
        You flick the right stick for kickflips/heelflips and hold for grabs when you are in the air, will play some more tonight see how much more I can get from it.

Comment

My order arrived today so it didn't take long, the game was sealed but the instruction booklet was outside the sealed case which I've never seen before. It was all fine though.

I've not given it a go yet but I'm looking forward to trying it.

Comment

Yeah, the game has a full ingame manual was one of the first games to ship without a manual, the one supplied is couple of pages.

Comment

Tried this for a little while earlier. As much as I like more arcadey skateboard games, I actually didn't find it that great.

There is a reason why, this game was first shown on wii. It's clearly a wii game that has been ported. The graphics show it, polygon count is low and textures are low res, the framerate constantly dips too.

The controls have been mapped from nunchuck to the left stick and motion control to the right stick. You are meant to pull grabs by moving the right stick in one of 4 directions, but so far I've found it to be very unresponsive and clunky.

Actually exploring the environments is fun though, turning the drab dystopian 1984 style world into a colourful place as you jump around is nice. I think I'll have more fun just doing that.

Maybe I'll get better and the controls won't be a problem , but I suspect I won't.

Comment

Working...
              X