No announcement yet.

FEZ revew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't think there's a FEZ news thread, it's half price on PSN for Sony stuffs from today for a couple of weeks

FEZ (Cross-Buy PS4/PS3/Vita) ? Was ?7.99/?9.99/$14.95, now ?3.99/?4.99/$7.55
    Additional 10% discount for PS Plus

Comment

I'll take that. Never finished on 360

Comment

Drat! Bought it last week for ?7.99. Well worth it though. Not sure I've got the commitment to go into cracking codes and all that but I'll play it for as long as it's fun...only got two anti-cubes so far.

Comment

'Finished' first round of this with about 26 normal cubes and 10 anti-cubes, and went back in to try to decipher the three code-sets and related puzzles. Failed utterly. After several hours of staring at symbols on various walls I haplessly caved and got the unencrypted codes off the internet, and I'm glad I did as I would never have worked out which piece of information showed the way to crack the codes given the wealth of diversionary chaff that decorates most surfaces of the gameworld. I really admire the thought Fish et al. put into this but it's too obscure for my liking. How are the
          code-break images

in the classroom

meant to indicate button inputs, exactly?

Ah, by checking that LED column in a totally unrelated area more than half the map away.

Also, I think the language code - cracked by making

an interpretative leap from the visual enactment of a nursery rhyme

- is simultaneously ingenious and awful: how would it be possible to even begin to crack this if you were not an English language speaker, probably required from infancy in order to be familiar with this
          ? Totally obtuse and untranslatable. No way am I now going round with pencil and paper laboriously decoding the wall text and speech - any puzzle that needs that will get ignored. In puzzle terms, and especially when compared to the far-superior Machinarium where the puzzles rely on simple visual language (when they need language at all), this game goes from obtuse to elementary, as once you have the codes it seems largely a simple matter of applying them more-or-less brainlessly across any remaining question marks on the map. Other puzzle-types that don't rely on the code-sets,

e.g. tuning forks, owls, tetris arrangement

, are much more satisfying from my point of view.

All that said, I'm still going to spend a couple more evenings pootering around the world - 'solving' things here and there - just because I love the art and music and piecing together the 'story' from the environmental clues.
          Last edited by Golgo; 26-06-2014, 08:11.

Comment

Finished this on the Vita when it was released on PSN a few months ago and loved every moment of it. The graphics are utterly charming and the wonderful OST helps to create a sense of wonder and mystery that I probably last felt playing Ocarina of Time of Metroid Prime.

Anyway, I always wanted to come back and scratch below the surface to collect all the cubes/ anit-cubes and decipher the codes. Currently just heading to each room on the map with things left to be discovered, but I feel this will only get me so far before a notepad and pen are required. Loved reading people's impressions of this stage of the game and seeing that it is possible with a little time and perseverance.

Comment

Bought this the other wk & just started playing it on my 360.
              Gotta agree with Parkinho. Only played a little bit but its really pulled me in with its charm. Totally love the music aswell, & I even sat there & just listened to the title screen music over & over it was so lovely :-).

Looking forward to getting back to it later today (hopefully)

Comment

I'd done 55% then lost my save when my ps4 had to be returned for replacement, not sure i can be arsed to start again. I know how to upload to cloud storage now, bit late eh ?

Comment

Working...
                X