Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirt : Showdown (Demo)

360 version.

It loads up "Codemasters Racing Studio", so its official, they are rebranded as purely a racing game maker.

Presentation is an extension of Dirt, and as such is excellent.

Past that, I have no idea what is going on here, in fact when first impressions count (as its a demo), its probably the worst demo I've ever played. I do hope this doesn't represent "final game code".

Firstly the car accelerates at a snails pace. The first race is about 5 laps long, and yet by lap 2 the nearest car to me is about 48 seconds in front!. It feels like I am pushing a shopping trolley around, its like an old woman driving sim.

Then the best bit came when I was barged off and hit a side-wall head-on. Tried to reverse, no joy. Pressed every button, not happening. Check the Controls screen, reverse is mapped by default as LT. But it just does not reverse.

Restarted the race again, still the same, drives like an old woman, and you can't reverse!

Turned it off, probably never to return. I am not sure whats going on here, maybe I've missed a trick somewhere. But for the life of me, I don't understand.

Nice work Codies, I hope F1 2012 isn't going this way.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

i really dont know why demos like this are put out? Are they actually trying to put people off from buying it?

If it was my product, the demo I released would be more polished than diamond

bizzare

Comment

Erm. Got to repeat you guys. Weirdness. No reverse and no acceleration. It's as if it has manual gears but not facility to actually change gear. wtf.

Comment

This guy appears to be able to change car to one that actually goes fast.

Hitting A to boost on mine just made flames but no extra speed.

Comment

It's a known bug. You have to do something to fix it, can't remember what. Something to do with your default prefs in the 360 UI. Or something. I dunno. Sigh.

Comment

Hmm. You have to "complete an event and challenge a friend" to unlock the other vehicles in the demo. Screw that. Delete.

Comment

No, your stuck in gear thing. It's a bug in the demo.

Comment

Having seen cavalcade's post (cheers dude), I found:

Can my computer run this game? How do I update my game? Get answers to your questions and join the Battlefield, EA SPORTS FC, Madden, Mass Effect, EA app, F1, Star Wars or The Sims communities.

You have to quit out to the dash and then go back into the game.

Tried and now you can actually race!

The in-car cam is dreadful though with massive field of view making it seem like a fish eye.
                Last edited by charlesr; 06-05-2012, 19:54.

Comment

The first vehicle is very understeery, so you need the handbrake to make it turn in. Controlling the oversteer is then damn hard.

It was kinda fun, but due to the figure of 8 course, it all felt very random (random smashes in the middle).

Is this a full release? It seemed like a decent XBLA arcade game rather than a shelf item.

Comment

Its nothing special and an underwhelming demo but it was easy and controlled fine for me (ps3).

Comment

Working...
                    X