Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DiRT Showdown review

And... another one that I've only had time to do a few races from

Despite how popular Codemasters series is this seems to have zero hype around it so who knows how many people will be playing it. The visuals are the easiest part to start with as they're pretty much the same as was seen in DiRT 3 last year. What Codies has basically done is put an orange hue on everything and then built new events to come up with this game. However, it doesn't feel like a basic expansion pack. Gone are most of the performance rally cars from last years game in instead in come a wide range of buggies, hot rods and demolition derby style vehicles to use over a range of new event types. So far I've tried one which is like the demo track with cross sections where pile ups are caused as you try to come 1st in a 3 lap race. Also is a smash up bowl where you gain points for various collision types and destroying opponents vehicles, the highest scorer winning. There's also been a similar event but in a raised sumo ring style platform. The handling of the vehicles seems to have been rebalanced to increase control so that it's more managable for the amount of time spent at lower speeds.

This new focus on collisions means your car now has a health bar and also a auto-recharging boost bar so get you out of scrapes. The combat point system also works in the races too and you'll hear the announcer commenting on your T-Bones and fender benders as you leap of firework ladened ramps and crash into the other cars whilst spinning around corners at full speed. It's a decent sized game too, there looks to be 16 events per class, 4 classes to complete. The money you earn from races going towards upgrading your car selections or buying new ones to add to it.

So far, it's good fun and perfect for a quick blast during the summer months.
    1 - Stalled on the line
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - Pole Position
    0%

I love F1 2011 and Dirt 3 is a return to form, but I have little interest in Dirt Showdown as it takes everything I’ve not liked about the Dirt series and puts it under one roof.

I think the real interest in this game lies in how well it sells and what direction Codemasters decide to take Dirt 4. Will Dirt 4 be pure rally and does that now sell in the era where the WRC is undergoing a tough period and it’s long past the glory years of Colin McCrae & Sega Rally?

Comment

I got a trophy last night which suggested I've tried all types of events in this which means in total there are:

-Destruction Derby style races
      -Battle points event
      -Head to Head Gymkhana

I'm still really early but thoroughly enjoying this.

Comment

What's the online player base like?
        Pc version?

Comment

Been playing this all day. Excellent fun!! Beat the main tour mode, wasn't too taxing and only the 8 lap 8Ball races annoyed me. Joyride mode is similar to the challenges in Burnout Paradise (offline and solo only sadly) and are pretty good with the usual collectables to find also. Only played briefly online but it seems to work quite well, you can pick from the 4 playlists which have 3 modes in each for teams and solo play. You level up but it doesnt seem to unlock anything but achievements (tho I am only level 4 so that may not be definite)

Comment

I'm going to try and spend a few hours on the Tour mode tonight, still only on the second series as I keep getting distracted, still enjoying it though

Comment

Really enjoying this too, feels like the 1st time I played destruction derby and it was something "different". Thumbs up!

Comment

Working...
              X