Venetica (360) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venetica (360) review

Forgot I had this, was something silly like ?1.98 in the GAME firesale earlier this year. First impressions aren't kind. Graphics are pretty scraggy, overly high on contrast (dark is VERY dark, light is often headache-inducingly bright - one must fiddle with one's TV settings to avoid feeling vomity!) Framerate zips between 30fps to 20fps, so don't expect baby's bottom smoothness here. Graphics are quite ugly, the main character is pretty sound but the overall character design is pretty wrong, think Fable-type folk with elongated faces and not much snazz. Landscape - again - is quite rough, but also quite appealing and 'organic', with texture detail more apparent in the distance rather than close-up. Music is boring, very 'pastoral', kinda reminds me of the mediocre choons used on early Tomb Raider games.

I always play with subs on in case I miss important bits of dialogue, and there are quite a few spelling errors in the subs, a howler being "foreinger", more "forefinger" than the "foreigner" it was intended as. Loads of non-gamebreaking but minorly irking bugs, right from the off, like 'ladder issues' (Will she climb? Won't she climb?), and lots of flickery textures etc. Quite a dodgy one, early on in the game, is when you have to try and find enough wonga to buy a new sword (you kick off with a poker, which is nigh-on useless). So...there are already some swords scattered about, right? And one of them is actually hanging in midair, right? And you CAN'T COLLECT THEM!!!! Gah! Anyway, I'm making it all sound horrendous, when the reality is not quite the case, at least so far.

Vibe-wise, it feels like a cross between a more linear, simplified version of Morrowind and that shat old Dreamcast game, Dragon's Blood, it's your average Euro-style 3rd person hack n' slasher but with added looting and sidequests galore.

Anyway, not much to report so far, finding it pretty darn scruffy yet quite enjoyable, deffo not a classic but it just may hold several bags of fun about its person. Will hopefully report back, night shift permitting!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

^^ Jazzie put it down it's horrible. I played it on PS3 last year for a while it gets no better, if you want a cheap to buy semi decent fable knockoff Hunted:The demons forge is alright and about ?5-6

Comment

No!! I *must* discover how bad it possibly is before I KNOW!!!!! There is a strange part of me that wants to play all the ****e games I have before getting around to the ones I know'll be decent (like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age etc.) I am a fool to myself!

PS: a strong urge is now making me want to get Hunted:TDF!

Comment

^^ i have it it's not too bad

Comment

^I always thought it was a God Of War-style game for some reason but I'll check it out. Think it's a fiver down Grainger Games, generally, it's a no-brainer.

Comment

Nope

Comment

^Actually looks rather decent, that. Bit Gears of Warsy, verrrrry solid-looking. Will get!

Comment

Working...
              X