Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E.X. Troopers [3DS/ PS3] review

[PS3 version tested]

For those unaware, This is a Lost Planet spinoff where you assume the role of Bren Turner, who's a fresh face of the NEVEC academy. Going through his trials and tribulations as a teen-something, fighting Akrid, making friends and trying to get the girl. Liken it to 'EDN 3rd 90210'
    Something like that.

I'm nearly at endgame and on my way to New Game +, so I'll chime in with what's what.
    I would say you can liken E.X. Troopers to something like a fast paced arena shooter. I'm not quite sure how much of a influence the 3DS version had over this, but you can tell from the mission structure, that everything is very bite size. Similar to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, where most missions can be completed around the 8-10 minute mark, with a few (being multiple Akrid boss battles) taking a little longer. There's not a lot of freedom in terms of how you progress through the stages as you move to one killzone, area becomes locked off and you then kill designated enemies. Once they're clear, it's off to the next room until you reach the goal. You repeat that formula pretty much through the whole game. Of course, it's interspersed with loads (and I do mean loads) of cut-scenes/ picture box chatter. Speaking of which, they're handled pretty great. Very much like a moving comic strip. I have no idea what the story is, only a rough guess of what's happening. I'm sure Kryss will be able to extrapolate more than I can with my very basic grasp of Japanese.

The game is split between two styles. Hub based and shooty-action-kill-kill. Within the hubs, you speak to people. Though you mainly want to speak to the ones with '...' thought bubbles . You mainly just get presents. Also missions and VR missions are doled out this way. And well, I don't think I need to explain too much about the shooty kill aspect. Although the Vital Suits that made their name in Lost Planet are kind of redundant, as it's only during certain missions you can you them. You can only use Bren Turners signature one only, as you cannot hop in, or out of V.S's

Now the mechanics for how the game plays:
    Your loadout for every mission is one main weapon (usually an assault/ beam rifle) and a special (these are heavy weaponary, usually grenade launchers) and you have infinite ammunition. They are governed by reload time for main weapons, and cooldowns for special weapons. Along with that, the special weapons belong to either three categories of elements, ice/ fire/ electric.
    With a good roster of weapons, you want to trick them out right?
    you can upgrade them in three attributes: Shot power/ magazine capacity/ shot distance. Though with some special weapons all you can upgrade is just shot damage. Along with your main arsenal, you also have melee moves. A standard press of the button and you throw out a chuck-norris roundhouse. tap-dashing forward and melee and you'll throw out an uppercut for juggles. Finally if you jet-pack dash and melee you will do a thrusting kick.

Like Monster Hunter, multiplayer (called VR missions) is not available from the get-go. You unlock that option about halfway through EP1. which took me about 2 hours 25 minutes. First you got to do the usual training missions and what not. I've only tried a few games of the Co-op, which is a nice diversion, although when searching for games, it was pretty barren, with only a couple of lobbies. Looking for versus matches didn't bring up hardly any lobbies as well. Though it could just be the time difference. VR mission can be tackled offline, or online with x2 other people. Multiplayer is a 3 vs. 3 affair. No local split screen co-op I'm afraid.

It's a shame it's not coming over the west, but I can see why. No one will buy it, and the fact that is has various callaborations with specified Japanese retailers such as Zoff eyewear, Joysound, the use of Rathalos armour from the Monster Hunter franchise. And of course the main title track by May'n, will make licenses for the west tricky.
    It still doesn't excuse Capcoms braindead decisions over the past few years about not localizing titles. Mainly the recent Monster Hunter franchise. Though Tri G HD saves them off the hook (just slightly) but still, freakin' March... It's been nearly a year since Tri G. But that's another topic.

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

So now I've completed the main story quests, which clocked in around 17 hours 45 minutes, and now just going through and trying to get gold medals for every VR & Story mission. I would say its decent enough, though really the stages that hosted the story felt quite samey, with no real character to it. Similar to that of Max Anarchy (or any other multiplayer focused game with tacked on story mode) where the stages really are multiplayer based in terms of flow and layout.

The co-op on the whole is decent. But the numbers online are woeful at best. I tried during peak Japanese times, and it was still pretty barren. Quite fun, although with three overpowered players (max character health and maxed out weaponry) the regular VR quests don't last long. The only ones to pose any difficulty is EX challenge #3 stage 10.

I've only had a few games of the adversarial multiplayer component, and at best it's serviceable. Only mode I dabbled in was just team deathmatch. I couldn't figure out what the other options are. It's only 3 vs 3 and when playing against (mainly) Japanese players, expect to lose out quite a bit due to lag.

Also for those still holding onto the very slight hint of it coming over here. Well, judging by first week sales, it doesn't bode well.
    8. E.X. Troopers (3DS) 16,920
    11. E.X. Troopers (PS3) 9,609
    Guess everybody was saving up for the new Super Robot Wars game the week after then.
    Last edited by jimtendo; 05-12-2012, 17:37.

Comment

ゲームというエンターテインメントを通じて「遊文化」をクリエイトする株式会社カプコンのウェブサイト。ゲーム情報サイトをはじめ企業情報サイト、ネットショッピング、ファンサイトなど、さまざまなサービスについても紹介しています。

Secret codes released so far, including for the Reorius/Rathalos Armour
      Secret code is the bottom option in the Wiz menu (the computer avatar in the centre of your base).

Comment

Anyone else find this reminds them of Burning Rangers? The futuristic art style, the orange clothes, the emails?

Playing through this now. Loving it. Beautiful visuals, and some great gun combat. Though 2 weapons at a time is a bit mean. I like the upgrade system. Fairly easy for non-Japanese speakers, but you do miss a lot of the narrative, especially with the emails.

Also using my AverMedia HD capture box to capture everything. When I'm done I'll put them all on Rapidshare or something, so everyone can stop using the PR shots floating about.

Comment

Playing the 3DS version here. Love the style, gameplay is light enough for a bit of fun. Two weapons is enough that you have to think about what to equip for some missions.

Rathalos Armour is cool too.

Comment

Over 350 screens in HD:
            With Capcom deciding not to localise E.X. Troopers for the west, and with it only selling 26K copies in Japan , compared to the 220...

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
              Anyone else find this reminds them of Burning Rangers? The futuristic art style, the orange clothes, the emails?

Playing through this now. Loving it. Beautiful visuals, and some great gun combat. Though 2 weapons at a time is a bit mean. I like the upgrade system. Fairly easy for non-Japanese speakers, but you do miss a lot of the narrative, especially with the emails.

Also using my AverMedia HD capture box to capture everything. When I'm done I'll put them all on Rapidshare or something, so everyone can stop using the PR shots floating about.
              More Burning Rangers, crossed with Phantasy Star Online and Jet Set Radio I'd say.

Picked this up early last week really enjoying it, will hit up the multiplay with Jimtendo in the near future to see what it's like.

Anyone have a code list of the W.I.Z codes to unlock content in game?

Took me ages to find the code for one of the guns.

Ice Gun: 186782
              Plazma Bomber: 565656

Comment

Here for the secret bits:

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                http://www.capcom.co.jp/ext/secret.html

Secret codes released so far, including for the Reorius/Rathalos Armour
                Secret code is the bottom option in the Wiz menu (the computer avatar in the centre of your base).
                Here is the list on a game wiki:

Also there are AR markers for the 3DS version here:
                ゲームというエンターテインメントを通じて「遊文化」をクリエイトする株式会社カプコンのウェブサイト。ゲーム情報サイトをはじめ企業情報サイト、ネットショッピング、ファンサイトなど、さまざまなサービスについても紹介しています。
                Last edited by kryss; 19-03-2013, 02:20.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  Here for the secret bits:

Here is the list on a game wiki:

Also there are AR markers for the 3DS version here:
                  http://www.capcom.co.jp/ext/popup_ar...830&height=620
                  Thanks Kryss, I totally missed your previous post.

Comment

Do you have to wait to unlock Wiz?

Shes banging on about maintenance at the moment.

Comment

From what I remember, to unlock the various forms of W.I.Z. you just have to keep on completing a set amount of missions?
                      Because I don't remember doing special quest wise to unlock them.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        Do you have to wait to unlock Wiz?

Shes banging on about maintenance at the moment.
                        Yes, it's not till mid way through chapter one, till you can start talking to her to play the VR missions, mutiplayer and use the Wiz code.

Still need to finish this myself I'm mid way through chapter 3 at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                        X