Tank! Tank! Tank! (Wii U) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank! Tank! Tank! (Wii U) review

Got this for ?25 when bought with my Wii U last night.

I wasn't initially sure how well this would work as a home port due to the arcade version's small content, but I bought it regardless.

There's a 2 player arcade machine of this at Walton Pier so I've had quite a bit of play time with it previously. The arcade cabinet gives you two modes - One is a 3 stage monster battle (with the third stage only available when you meet certain conditions), and the other is effectively multiplayer deathmatch.

The home port has thankfully added quite a bit on top of that, and it's turned into an experience similar to EDF in a way!

Added to the game is a Story Mission mode. You start off with a single tank at Level 1, and go through small missions trying to clear them in the quickest time possible. Each tank has its own set of stats and weapons that you can pick up, and can be levelled up and upgraded. Story Mission mode can also be done with two players, but the second player is a 'Support Tank' and can't customise or level up.

Whenever you clear a mission, you get a medal. Whenever you get medals, you unlock more tanks. The final tank requires 500 medals to unlock - That's 500 completed missions with a variety of different setups. Blimey!

It's also worth noting that getting S Rank on some of these missions can be bloody hard! I've only managed a couple of S or A ranks so far, with most of mine being B or C rank.

A lot of new enemies and areas have been added, from fighting giant mantis things on the beach, to a team of giant gorillas, and flying wasps that try to drill down into you, so even if you've played the arcade machine to death, there's some fun new content and some REALLY fun new weapons (Giga-Laser! Heheheheh!)

The arcade content is here and present, but instead of the set three stages, you have three different 'courses' so to speak. The original 3 arcade stages, and two additional sets of stages.

You also have 'My Kong' (I think it's called that?) mode, where the person with the gamepad gets to put their face on a giant gorilla and try to smash up the other three tanks. Not tried this yet but it looks quite good.

It's still a very simple game though, with no real features that make use of the gamepad, and no online play. All you need is a D-Pad and a single button to shoot stuff. That's it. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it and staying up until 4am playing it.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Thanks for that, sounds just up my street. Maybe if I tweet Bandai enough they will add online functions

Comment

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

Oops, didn't see that at all. Sorry!

Comment

Working...
        X