Shin Hokuto Musou - Ken's Rage 2 demo review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shin Hokuto Musou - Ken's Rage 2 demo review

Just saw this was up on the Japanese PSN, so thought I'd give it a go.

First impressions are pretty good.

The demo starts with a little story intro, but instead of being just a CGI movie, it's presented in a comic strip. Everything is much more emphatic and it looks really nice.

After all that, we get into your average Musou fare. Except this game, compared to the first, is like the jump between the first and third Gundam games. Everything is a lot more fluid and like the latest Gundam title, there are lots of little timed sections. However, these are all graded, depending on time, damage taken & villagers killed. It's definitely a lot faster paced than the original.

Cut scenes are pretty nice looking, but also interactive. There is one where Kenshiro and Bat are in a prison cell and to pull the bars apart, you push left on the left analog and right on the right analog.

Opening crates is now done with the triangle button, which will come in handy as so many times on the original, I was fighting a horde of enemies and accidentally picked up an Item I could have used later.

Another new addition is a dash button. It can't be used to run, but is handy for escaping tight spots. It's also handy for bosses as it can be used like a guard crush, setting you up nicely for a hefty combo. However this does come at the expense of the jump ability.

Levelling up is done during the level, like the older Musou games, which is something I've always preferred and was a major flaw in Gundam 3 & the original Hokuto Musou.

The demo lasts a good 15-20 minutes of gameplay plus interactive cut scenes and if the full game is as much fun as this, we could finally be seeing the true evolution of the scrolling beat em up.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
Working...
X