Love Training - Mint [X360] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love Training - Mint [X360] review

What does happen when two simulators with no apparent link meet? In case of dancing and dating simulators, Love Training happens.

Mint is the second version of Love Training available (the other two being Bitter and Sweet) and the main difference between the three is the four girls available in each.

I think the story is the same for every game: the current head of the dance club in a Japanese high school asks you to take over as the club head as she's a third year student. Then it's time to pick one of the four girls available and begin dancing with her.
    The relationship level with a girl is determined by how good you are in the various "stages": the dating aspect of the game is very light and boils down to a simple progression on how a girl will relate with you and the availability of minigames like a digital version of Red Light/Green Light where you have to approach the girl and strike the suggested pose when she turns around. Getting good scores will also unlock various clothes, but so far, such clothes only appear in menus and not during dance routines.

The core of the game, the dance part, is...puzzling. I'm using the Nyko Zoom Lens due to the limited space available and for the first two or three stages everything seems to work well. After that the Kinect's calibration/accuracy/whatever is lost and navigating game menus becomes almost impossible; even trying to bring up the system's menu for a recalibration/tracking test becomes difficult but I don't really know if this affects how the game scores the dance segments.
    Even when things seem to work, the game refuses to recognise certain moves and there's no indication of what is wrong. Sometimes your body's image is overimposed with blue and red shades to help correcting posture, but not every time. In some exercises you are left wondering what you are doing wrong as there is no indication if it's the posture or the timing, though the latter has the lowest priority.
    In most exercises the scoring is given to just one part of the movement you are requested to mimick: so far I've only been able to get "miss", "OK" and "good" as scores for single movements, and those are not calculated on how close you tracked the movementwith your whole body, but just two or so limbs, like hands at the end of a pose or if you bent the knees.
    The general feeling, though, is that movement recognition is good only when one or two points have to be tracked (like hands or fully body movement): when the game/Kinect has to track three or four limbs things go completely wrong; exercises that ask you to simply extend one leg toward the camera seem completely out of reach as I've only been able to get "miss". And again, the game doesn't tell you what's wrong: not out of Kinect's area, no indication if body posture is correct or completely wrong timing; there are times where you are left wondering what you are doing wrong and others why you are doing right and I can't really understand if it's the game's or Kinect's flaw.
    And, well, I really want to like this game. It's essentially about moving and this is the most basic form of having fun, but it gets frustrating when you just don't know what is going wrong.

From what I saw, initial dance routines are the same for all four girls present in the game, though I'm focusing on just one of them to unlock as many stages as possible...which is more difficult than it sounds due to the previously mentioned tracking issues.

Technically the game is OK. Dancing has been motion captured (apparently from someone famous) and is applied seamlessy to all models. Backgrounds are very plain but the girls show different expressions based on how the chosen routine is going; animations during the dating part are OK and the main thing is that there aren't many of them; when seen from the side, the girl's face is somewhat strange...it's standard anime proportions, but side views feel a bit awkward. Some voices are from famous VAs...but the lipsynching is completely wrong. I mean, lipsynching libraries were available to Flash 10 years ago and now the technology has given us mocapped 3D models and a camera (sort of) able to track body movement, it's not possible to have a mouth moving when a character's voice is actually heard? This goes beyond nitpicking, it's an almost catastrophic failure when half of the game is about staring at a girl talking to you.

As a first Kinect experience, I'm disappointed by the input device more than the game: from what I've seen so far the amount of content is good (much more and more varied than I was expecting), but having to deal with that camera is infuriating.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I'm really glad you posted some impressions on this, as I've said before I will admit that it has tempted me to buy a Kinect (God help me) for the novelty factor alone. But seems like that would be something of a pricey mistake!

Comment

"Love Training"...? Sounds like some kind of Gwenmedia production.

Comment

This is a sign we need to close the forum down and re-evaluate our lives.

Comment

It wouldn't be my first pick for a kinect game....

Comment

I hear the DLC features Isabella Sinclaire, for some "extra special" love training...

Comment

Sketcz, at every post you surprise me and expand my horizons to unimagined depths.

Comment

Iz good innit!

I am very tempted to photoshop the original cover of this game into something else.

Comment

2chan or 4chan probably already did something like that and even worse.

Comment

So...if you have decent lighting, if you wear short sleeves, if your trousers create enough contrast with your shirt, if there are no lighting sources behind you, if there's enough ambient light the game is playable. Mostly.

Even then, it's a lot of "if"s to play with the Kinect! OK, I don't have a large play area and I still lack proper lighting where consoles are (long story), but I thought the days of the Actovator were long gone!
                    No, this is a bit harsh. In fact, with the proper environment, the Kinect works well, but if lighting changes (even ambient/flood light) the game/peripheral does lose some of its tracking abilities. Even in the best conditions, however, some exercises seem out the game/Kinect's abilities, making progression difficult.

To unlock new dances, you have to fill the dance and action gauges, and those fill based on the quality of the performance. But if you don't know what you're doing wrong (no on screen indication), it's impossible to correct itself; when the game begins to register hits and misses at, apparently, random, the situation becomes even more frustrating.

And as I wrote earlier, it's a shame, because the game is fun and there are some fun mini-games to break the monotony of dancing...though, in all honesty, I wish there's more dancing because so far there have been a lot of training/warm-up exercises but only three dance routines. These dance routines are a repetition of three/four movements over a certain period of time and aren't that different from training exercises, but instead of simple one/two limbs movements, they are more complex and therefore, more fun to do.

So far I've been focusing on one girl and decided to start training with another, which leads to two more problems: first, the initial exercises and dance routines are the same and this can be incredibly boring and partly frustrating...going through leg extension (the one exercise the game has the most troubles with) for all girls is not a fun thought.
                    Second, facial expressions are not always correctly linked to the situation. I've never noticed this because the first girl I've trained with, Shiori, is the calm-without-many-expressions stereotype, and two other girls (tsundered and "I'm the overactive foreign blonde girl" stereotypes) may be smiling while their voice sounds annoyed; coupled with bad lipsynching, cutscenes become simply not fun to watch.

Comment

After pouring some more hours into the game I can say that...I'm liking it?
                      I think that all the problems I have are due to the lighting setup and that I'm forced to use the Nyko Zoom lens, thus you don't really have to move like shown, but like the Kinect wants you to. As most exercises require only one or two movements, the key to success is to find what the Kinect (or the game) think is correct. Again, this must be due to the Zoom lens and once this has been cleared, the game actually becomes fun.
                      Unfortunately the four girls only differ in cutscenes, costumes and one son that you unlock after bringing the action gauge to level 5 and the dance gauge to level 4, which is a bit too much when you have to do the same dance routines, training exercises and minigames.
                      Despite the action gauge is affected by training exercises, minigames and dance routines, it's the hadest of the two to fill and when passing levels the excess is not carried over.

When playing a girl's specific song, you just need to lift the left or right (or both) arm with the right timing and increasing the song level (performance gauge) only leads to a longer/more difficult version of the same song.

So...in fact, if you have a JPN X360 and a Kinect, Love Training is worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
                      X