Macross 30 [PS3] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macross 30 [PS3] review

After what felt like a huge rip-off for me buying the "Do You Remember Love?" hybrid bluray movie back in August, I'm glad to say this is a proper full game.

You play Leon Sakaki, member of a similar branch of S.M.S. to those in Macross Frontier, who has arrived at the planet Uroborus to deliver a new Valkyrie. In short, you get shot down, and then are prevented from leaving by a planetary irregularity that affects hyperspace fold engines. You're stuck working there and in the same area of the planet until the disruption subsides.

The controls have barely changed over the years and releases, now your camera can be controlled by the right analogue stick, locking on seems to be done only by holding L1 rather than the tracking system that the Gundam games also use. In flight mode pressing R3 flips the camera to face behind you rather than in front. The D-pad switches between the three different transformation modes - Flight, Gerwalk (hybrid plane/humanoid robot) and Battloid.

The game is more difficult until you start to notice the levels of the enemies you're trying to shoot down and then work towards increasing the stats of your Valkyrie. More missions means more training points and better stat boosts. Becoming a licensed hunter means you can take on quests from the numerous Guilds dotted about the area. Rewards for which range from cash to (more excitingly) plans for new Valkyries.

So far I've maxed out the stats on the initial aircraft (VF-01J), built a VF-01D, and am currently working on levelling my VF-01S in a sexy orange/red and white colour scheme. The ships all seems to have 2 main weapons (gunpod/sniper rifle) and 3 subweapons ranging from laser machine guns to reactive bombs via the usual multi-targeting and/or rapid launch missles.

Some destroyable lanscape would have been nice, but considering the size of the playing field I'm willing to overlook it. the play area is BIG.

Overall, it has the fun of Robotech:Battlecry and the ships of every Macross series there is, and some originals for the game but I'm a long way off unlocking those. Being a fan of the series will help as $80 is a little steep.

Import summary section:
    No, there will never be an English language release of this. Yes, it's playable in Japanese but you will miss out on the storyline without a fan translation.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Are you still enjoying this? I was looking at picking it up but can't really seem to find any good reviews anywhere.

Comment

The only place you'll ever need for mecha & anime game reviews, http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews...across-30-710/

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
          The only place you'll ever need for mecha & anime game reviews, http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews...across-30-710/
          Sweet, thanks for the link!

Comment

Best Macross game I've played. That's praise that.

Comment

Working...
            X