Akashicverse (Doujin PC Shmup) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akashicverse (Doujin PC Shmup) review

Sometimes, something comes along and makes me realise how bloody awesome doujin shmups are. This is one of them.

Akashicverse is a vert shooter done by some guy called Endless Shirafu, and was released at Comiket though which one, I couldn't tell you.

The system behind this one is really unique and I love it to pieces. Alongside your standard autofire button, you have a 'Command' button, and a choice of about 7 different special weapons. In order to use them, you've got to hold the Command button and input an fighting game style special move, then press Fire.

For example, holding Command, inputting a shoryuken movement then tapping fire, will cast a bullet decoy that attracts all red bullets to it, instead of you.

Inputting Down, Right + Fire will cast a bullet repel attack, that slowly pushes incoming bullets away and back up. Up, Up + Fire does a short range sword attack.

You start off with 8 gauges, and each special move takes up a varying amount of these gauges. They're recovered very slowly over time or by grazing your shield over enemy bullets.

You don't have lives per se, but you have a shield that's at 100%. You can toggle this shield for a greater grazing area, but one shot will kill you in this mode and it's game over. The shield slowly recovers over time, which is good as the game gets difficult.

You have an Easy, Normal and Hard mode. However, there's a completely different version of the game called Akashicverse Alternative Arguments, which is effectively a standalone ultra-hard version with only 3 levels, a completely different soundtrack, and about 5 additional special moves. I would highly recommend trying this just for the initial insanity (and brilliant soundtrack).

I've done a full playthrough of Alternative Arguments and uploaded to YouTube. Died 5 times... My goal is a 1CC. The quality is slightly poor as it's a straight upload from my Twitch stream.

The full, proper game is about $30 and will run on any half decent PC, but Alternative Arguments was released for free by the author at http://www.endless-shirafu.com/endle..._Arguments.zip.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Awesome. What are you using to play with? A wired 30 pad?

Comment

This was played using a keyboard. I'll try it with an arcade stick soon.

I also realised after watching a few other videos, that the scoring system revolves around removing the shield... If you take the shield off yourself, your score multiplier goes up by a ridiculous amount, and you need to toggle it on only when you need it.

Risk vs. Reward as this'll outright kill you if you get hit while your shield isn't on... Now I see where the extreme difficulty comes into it if you're playing for score, and initially I had no idea.

Comment

That looks pretty sweet. Don't suppose there's word of a 360 version appearing?

Comment

Working...
        X