Dead Island Riptide (PS3/360) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Island Riptide (PS3/360) review

Did a search and couldn't find a thread for this, which surprised me a bit.

Anyway..

The original was one of the games I've enjoyed most this gen, so when I saw this sequel, I was quite excited. Having just become a dad, money was tight, but I saw this for ?20 and for that price it was a must buy.

The game carries on from the ending of the first, where you make it to a ship. This is the first chapter, which surprisingly has quite a bit of gunplay in it. It's a nice start, although you don't get any decent weapons until later into the game.

The ability to import your DI character into this is rather cool, but it did look a bit odd when the level 50 trophy popped after killing my first zombie.

Once again, the new island looks lovely and again is a decent size. Not as big as the first game and with only two main locations this time. As before, there is the main storyline, plus a ton of collection missions as sidequests. You can also do missions for your party to level them up which makes them stronger in the horde sections.

Also new are Dead Zones, which usually have a 'boss' zombie in them. These are usually extremely powerful and a bitch to kill. Another new form of transport is the speedboat, which is pretty handy considering the first part of the game is set in a flooded jungle.

Overall, my completion time totalled around 28 hours, but that included the odd time when baby was being attended to so I'd say 20-25 hours to do all the missions and find all the collectables. The difficulty also seemed about right this time, with none of the crazy spikes that plagued the first one.

If you enjoyed the first game, you'll enjoy this for sure. I loved it and now I'm waiting for my other half's lad to finish the first game so we can do this co-op.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

The poll is expired.

Working...