Open Me review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Me review

Open Me is an augmented reality game for Playstation Vita and it's borderline genius. Basically you are tasked with opening a series of boxes but the way you do it is so inventive and fun.

You start by putting an AR card down (any one will do). There is an option to not use an AR card but I haven't tried that mode. Point your Vita at the card and a box is rendered on top of the card. Your job is to get it open. You might have to tap a button or slide some latches etc. You can't always see how to open the box. You need to move the vita around the card to get a look at the back and sides of the box to figure out what you need to do. Ideally you want to be standing and have the card on a small table so you can move around it but i'm playing in bed and have found you can turn the card around if you want to see the other sides.

The game downloaded in sections; the main game and 13 'packs'. Each pack appears to have 3 boxes in it to open and I'm assuming they'll be trying to flog additional packs down the line. I've only opened 6 boxes so far but I've had a smile on my face the whole time I've been playing it. This game validates augmented reality gaming IMO. It's fantastic. I hope the puzzles continue to be as inventive as I play some more, but I'll be amazed if they do to be honest. I'll put a score up when I've played a bit more. Oh, I think it was about ?6 on the UK PSN store.

There are single player and multi player (not tried multiplayer) modes and a challenge box mode where you can create your own boxes and send them to friends (not tried this). Clicking on the 'inbox' will show you boxes your friends have sent to you and occasionally random challenge boxes from people around the world (sometimes these are only available for a limited time). There's a Playstation Store button that when clicked takes you to the psn store and goes to a 'Packs' section. The only packs in here were the ones that came with the game but they're marked at 65p per pack. I'm assuming that maybe you can download a demo version, get pack 0 for free and then just buy more packs as you feel like it. There's a rankings section to see how well others are doing (some of the box openings are timed, or can be done in fewer moves etc.)

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

No other Vita owners even tried this? Shame on you. All of you.

Comment

I had the Japanese version, but I got scared I woukd summon Pinhead if I played too much.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Haha. I am wondering if there'll be the hellraiser box at some point

Comment

That looks REALLY fun, just the kind of quirky game i'd love. If only i had a vita.

Reminds me a bit of the PS1 game suzuki bakuhatsu but without getting inside a bomb & more about boxes.

Comment

Working...
          X