[PS4] Entwined review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PS4] Entwined review

Picked this up tonight, ?6.49 on PSN, unlike anything I've ever played really, is a twin stick game where you control a couple of creatures (a bird and a fish), one with the left stick and one with the right, not as easy as it sounds! creatures can only remain in their own (vertical) half of the screen in a semi circle like area.

Looks amazing and plays really well, over the nine levels (lifetimes) you can't die, you just need to collect items and fly through gaps to fill up the gauge at the top so them eventually meet giving a lovely visual arena to fly around and collect everything before finishing that lifetime and moving on to the next. Miss a gap a few times and the gauge level drops so you just need to collect more.

There is a chapter select option from the main menu so, you can start where you left off or revisit an earlier lifetime easily. A brief tutorial is also included along with options like controller sensitivity etc.

There is also a challenge mode (with four different variations) with online leaderboards, same idea as above but you get three "lives", miss three gaps and it's game over. Very addictive and "one more try" enducing for sure, these games can be quite tough and short, but fun.

Pretty hard to describe bar the above and the trailer video below, never played Journey or Flower etc but guess is a bit along those lines. Well worth picking up in my book, not seen any reviews online but sure they'll appear in the next day or two.

Any questions fire away.

Forgot to add a poll sorry.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

that looks awesome will have to give it a download tonight

Comment

It is yes, I probably didn't sell/explain it too well, using to two sticks to control left and right creatures is tricky, but rewarding for sure. Especially the challenge mode, which you need to achieve a certain score in to unlock the next stage, is one of those games which is fairly easy to pick up, but will take ages to master.

Comment

For me this is without doubt one of the most beautiful and relaxing games i think i have ever played, it really is quite stunning. The gameplay is ever so simple which starts of very easy and gentle but as the game goes out it does get more challenging but in a good way and for me not frustrating. The use of colour is mesmerising and the the music is wonderful.

For me in many ways it is much like Flower, beautiful and very thought provoking. The one thing this game has in abundance is heart and soul. It really is a rare experience these days for a game to have this affect on me and the fact it only costs ?6.49 is remarkable it truly is a pleasure to play. Can see me spending a lot of time with this one, i implore anyone to try it.
        Last edited by gambit6613; 11-06-2014, 13:23.

Comment

You'll employ me to try it? How much are you paying? :-)
          Might pick this up tonight then. Ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            You'll employ me to try it? How much are you paying? :-)
            Might pick this up tonight then. Ta.
            Lol bloody autocorrect

Trust me for ?6.49 you cannot go wrong with this one.

Comment

Agreed with everything said above, it's a game which is incredibly fun to play, relaxing and emotional all at the same time. Not since Ico and SoTC has a game completely immersed me on all those levels. A definite must buy.

Comment

Completed lifetime four last night, getting tricky now, I really seem to struggle with the precise control of the right creature more.

Am I just a tart or is the Challenge Mode pretty hard, don't think I've scored above 90 in the first stage so far. And to make me feel worse, see the person who tops the online leaderboard with a score of 514 or something.

Flitting between this and Super Mario Kart on the SNES last night, what a fantastic evening of gaming.

Comment

I like the no fail thing on the story mode the level just loops the gate patterns until it finally clicks and you get through, I found the non symmetrical patterns the hardest, but once you get them it's very satisfying couldn't put it down and played through all nine levels last night headphones are a must.

seems to be getting mixed reviews, really mixed fours and nines? but i think the people like eurogamer don't know there Arse form there elbow half the time, main complaint seems to be that the controls are to stressful and difficult for such a chilled game i disagree it starts of chilled but later on hitting the right gates and completing a massive section with no errors is really exhilarating.

As always the greats games are divisive, i love it the fact that its there first game its ?6.49 and is an amazing experience is all you really need to know.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 13-06-2014, 11:31.

Comment

Enjoyed it...manages to be even more pointless than flower tho

Anyone else get a really bad stutter/freeze? Nearly made lifetime 5 unplayable!!

Comment

I like it. I've never felt as malcoordinated before, and at times it is frustrating, but the flow and vibe of the game is lovely. Pretty, nice sounds, rewarding. The dragon sections should have had motion control similar to Flower, though. Those bits control like arse.

Comment

I get a bit of stutter whenever I'm near the end of a level and due to my crapness, after starting the process of the two creatures joining up I mess up so badly I need to go back to collecting a few bits to fill the bars, that is the only time.

For example end of level eight, I had so many hard combo's in a row took me a while of backwards and forwards before finally completing.

Amazing the range of reviews.

4/10 from Eurogamer here
                        Announcing a pretty, feelgood indie title for immediate release was a neat PR stunt for Sony, but the game itself disappoints.

And 9/10 from PushSquare here

Guess it's one of the "Marmite" games you either love or hate.

Comment

Amazing range of reviews from those well known and well respected websites:
                          Pushsquare
                          Playstation Universe
                          &
                          Hardcore gamer magazine

It’s an abstract action/arcade game about two souls who are in love but that can’t be together. These souls are represented by a bird and a fish, which you must learn to control simultaneously. Over the course of nine lifetimes you will help these two characters come together with the eventual goal of uniting them for eternity. This story was inspired by an ancient Chinese myth, and the theme of reincarnation lives in our level structure. [Playstation.com]

No doubt Godisageek will score it 14/10 when their review goes up.

I've just downloaded it to give it a go as I love shiny mashine pretty games and experiences, so far it just seems pretty boring. It is essentially an iPhone runner game where you control 2 characters at the same time. I'll have to play some more and see if the Story mode is as lovely as the presentation.

Comment

id say its more like a music game than an endless runner, like Frequency or Guitar hero, its more about nailing the patterns and getting the correct position and timing.

Comment

I completed the ninth (and final) lifetime last night, just not had much free time of late. Enjoyed it, one of the trophies needs a second playthrough it seems and of course there is the challenge mode.

Think I will leave it for now and revisit it in a couple of weeks.
                              There was an update 48 hours ago to fix some bugs but don't know what it did, I still get the sutter after the update.

Comment

Working...
                              X