Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WIIU] Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[WIIU] Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water review

Sometimes I wonder why games are published so differently between regions. Take the new Fatal Frame (or Project Zero): Europe got a fancy collector's edition, North America went digital only. Different publishers for different regions maybe, but NoA in general is trying really hard to get the Wii U forgotten there.
    Anyway, I've never played a Fatal Frame/Project Zero before but I felt like having a spooky game on the WiiU, so...I should keep searching. I'm not a big fan Japanese horror movies because they tend to lack tension, often dragging on silent moments where the camera focuses on absolutely nothing, as the director was asking the audience "please, be scared"; that, and a lot of Japanese actors are as emphatic and able to convey emotions as wooden logs. I know there are exceptions, but unfortunately Fatal Frame isn't one.

In the few hours I've played I was more afraid of missing the chance of taking pictures of ghost appearing for a brief moment rather than being afraid of the apparition itself. Your attention is also divided between the TV screen and the WiiU pad (acting as the Camera Obscura), so sometimes you're looking down to the pad, you hear a scream, you glance up to the TV and go "aaawww, I missed the ghost". This doesn't mean that the game is completely devoid of creepy imagery, but how much and for how long can dolls and long-haired ghosts scare you? Characters don't speak often, and when they do is in very short sentences; all have one facial expression, and that goes a long way in decreasing tension: characters aren't scared, they see ghosts and are like "oh, ghost." as they just saw the most common thing in the world. I mean, the first character is an occult investigator, but some kind of reaction would have been nice.

Combat is clunky and slow, even when facing multiple ghosts. You can lock onto a ghost's weak spot for easy targeting, or go full manual to try to get up to five spots in the frame for a stronger shot; killing/excorcising a ghost takes an incredibly long amount of time, even with powerful films. Films come in various strenghts, with only the weakest being infinite. Even when a ghost grabs you, there isn't much tension of it killing you straight away (in normal mode, at least), and it can be repelled by few shots. Movement controls don't help much either, characters are stiff and walk very slowly. I get this is how the game is, but when you are tasked with fetch quests, slowly trudgng along the same hallways/forests is just tedious; there's a run button (why? I want full analog control), but turning while running is next to impossible, and it's not really running, it's more a slow jog.

There are some mechanics that so far haven't played a big role, like how wet your character is. As the title implies, water plays an important role in every environment, and more wet a character is, the more susceptible she'll be to ghosts.

So far Fatal Frame failed in keeping my interest up, maybe it will get better in later stages, but the opening moments haven't been that impressive.

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

My physical copy seems to have arrived today- looking forward to playing it despite bad reviews. Can't help but feel some reviewers marked it down for old school survival horror mechanics- but that's the exact reason I'm buying it.

Comment

There's a demo on the eshop for anyone interested in trying it out.

I had a little go and gave up on it as I found the same annoyances as Briareos, the clunky controls being the biggest gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
        There's a demo on the eshop for anyone interested in trying it out.

I had a little go and gave up on it as I found the same annoyances as Briareos, the clunky controls being the biggest gripe.
        Good to know. I'll check it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
          My physical copy seems to have arrived today- looking forward to playing it despite bad reviews. Can't help but feel some reviewers marked it down for old school survival horror mechanics- but that's the exact reason I'm buying it.
          Problem is there isn't neither much horror nor survival. I played some more, up to chapter 6, and still haven't found a single scary moment. Creepy yes, but even the jump scares aren't scary. Every character can take quite the amount of punishment, you have plenty of restorative items and you can use them at any moment without any penalty on movement and/or attack; the wet/dry mechanic is there to show girls in wet clothes and nothing more I think.

Comment

My copy didn't arrive Coincidentally that's the third Wii U game I've had on pre-order to not arrive on release day and I've only pre-ordered 4 Wii U games up till now.

Comment

This has come back into stock at the Nintendo store, incidentally, if anyone missed out.

Comment

Hope nobody minds that I'm bumping this, but as it's coming out next week cross-platform I'll be picking it up for the Switch. I believe there are a few upgrades visually and control wise, but I never got the chance to play it on the Wii-U. I really loved the Japan only Fatal Frame IV, so hopefully this is more of the same in regards mood and atmosphere.

Comment

I dropped £150 on this a few month back and read the same day it was coming to new platforms. Havnt even put it on

Comment

I really, really like this. It is very PS2 survival horror with WiiU visuals so go in knowing that. I had a great time with it, the art style is great and the levels are very atmospheric. It maybe goes on for one level too long but otherwise I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      I dropped £150 on this a few month back and read the same day it was coming to new platforms. Havnt even put it on
                      It's like you did it for the rest of us

Comment

I really wanted to like this game, but found it a dull plodfest around poorly designed environments.

I love old school PS1/PS2 survival horror, but Briareos Kerensky sums it up nicely in his post from a few years ago above - there is very little survival or horror in this game. A chore to play, for me.

At least Switch players will be spared the tedious gamepad antics of the original.

Comment

Picked this up for the Switch and have been playing through it, one chapter at a time, as I save it for after dark. It's definitely more in line with the Wii iterations than earlier games, which is fine with me as I happen to like Fatal Frame 4 a lot. I even enjoyed using the Wiimote for flashlight and camera movement, despite a lot of online complaints about the control scheme. It's worth noting though, that like 4 the default settings for camera movement speed are far too sluggish - you really need to go into the menu and raise them almost to max. I really love the settings in the FF series and this one is no exception, though I should point out that I have an interest in Japanese horror and folklore, so I'm probably more invested in the story than the average gamer - Fatal Frame out of all the survival horror game series' that appeared in the late 90's -early 2000's has stubbornly refused to adapt to modern gaming tastes, and the stories and locations reflect this. I find them creepy in the same way that I find old ghost stories or classic horror films like The Haunting or The Innocents unsettling,but I suppose I can see why a modern audience might not feel the same way.Also, the absence of talking for your player controlled character is a big plus for me. I haven't played any of the newer RE Engine RE games, but from watching gameplay videos, it seems they never shut up, grunting, swearing,talking to themselves. I prefer the isolation you get when the game leaves you alone with an ambient soundtrack, as this one does.

One black mark against this port, is that it only comes with Stereo sound. I didn't play the WiiU version but it seems that it had full surround sound support. I even emailed Koei Tecmo about this and they confirmed Stereo only, which seems like a real missed opportunity, as otherwise it sounds great.

Comment

Finally decided to give this a go on Wii U after smoldering in the pile for ages, I must say that while it is plodding and I can't imagine there is much variation beyond the first 3 or so "stages", i'm quite charmed by the atmosphere and story elements. It's creepy too which tbh is rare for me to find in a game.

Comment

Working...
                            X