Blaster Master Zero 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blaster Master Zero 3

Blaster Master Zero 3 is available for every current format, that's why there's no format in the title. I've been playing the physical Japanese Switch version, which includes the previous two games, all released DLCs, and brand-new voice acting on one cart; as typical of Inti Creates games, all of them feature multiple languages including English. BMZ1 and BMZ2 load saves from the US digital version with no problems.

Impressions are based on an almost complete game; I think I'm in the final stretch because BMZ3 started to recycle bosses with no new patterns, attacks, weaknesses, and their health seems the same; artificial game lengthening 101 at its finest. Not that it lengthens the game much, you already know how to fight them, you have more health and tools at your disposal, so these re-encounters go very fast.
    As for the rest of the game goes, it's Blaster Master, so you have your mix of side-scrolling stages inside a tank and overhead stages on foot. Stages are less linear than BMZ2 and probably more complex than BMZ1, and I'm not particularly fond of their design: they feel more complicated than complex, especially before you fully understand the super-space portal mechanics, which is the first major addition in this third BMZ chapter.

These portals appear in all stages and bring Jason and crew into an alternate dimension that can be used to pass obstacles in the "real" world. At first I thought it's a completely different stage layout, but instead it's the same layout with minor differencies and enemy encounters, and in many overhead stages these portals can be used to bypass strong opposition; some of these super-space stages are randomised in layout and enemy placement, and you might find large rooms with no enemies at all.
    One thing you quickly learn is that's often better to ignore enemies and head straight for the exit. BMZ3 retains the health/weapon downgrade system of the original Blaster Master (and in fact many Sunsoft games on the NES), which I will never like. You're fighting a boss and magically you have to put yourself into way more danger than usual because your weapons don't have the reach to damage the boss. BMZ3 is also kinda stingy with health or weapon upgrade pickups, but strangely generous with life guards (armour that won't affect gun power when hit), which also respawn. After a while I've noticed that this weapon powerdown mechanic is actually the main source of difficulty in the game, if Jason would be at full power all the time bosses won't last long, especially when you discover their weakness. Most bosses also lack any interesting gimmick, and they are ridiculously easy in sidescrolling stages.

Jason got a new dash and counterattack, the other two major additions to BMZ3, which further trivialise stages and some boss encounters. The dash also gets a reflective shield around midway through the game, and unfortunately only one boss makes the use of this technique...and not even in a mandatory way. The counter activates when you're near a bullet, and and absolutely decimates standard enemies with high HP. You cannot quite use only the counter because there are enemies that attack by bumping into you, and like in BMZ2, you can pretty much just use one gun type for the whole game. With the exception of some light puzzle elements, the standard blaster is useless, just like the beam sword/whip. The new (or revised, can't quite remember) lighting gun is used for some puzzles and a couple of fights, but it incredibly fiddly to use.

Graphics are nice, and there are some really good illustrations dotting the game. The music doesn't sound all that different from the previous two games and it's nice as background to your efforts, and the voice acting...I don't know, I like it but it feels out of place in a 8-bit lookalike.

Right now BMZ3 is a competent game but not quite on par with BMZ2.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Aaaaand game completed.
    Like BMZ2 there are two endings, and from what I gather, the only trigger is a very specific input during the "pre-ending" sequence: the wrong input will give you the bad ending, the right will bring you to a new area. I'll keep spoilers to a minimum, but the new area is sever difficulty spike compared to what came before, and all bosses there come down to old-school pattern memorisation and good skills, as they don't have any real weakness; they do take more damage from certain weapons, but these encounters are way more intensive and interesting than the base game.

The final boss is something quite peculiar in setup, and I won't say anything about it. The true ending closes nicely Jason's and Eve's story...or does it? I'm pretty sure they've let the doors open for yet another sequel, though I'd be pretty happy if Inti Creates would just create something new.

Overall I've enjoyed BMZ3, but not as much as BMZ2. The latter's smaller stages were more pleasant to go through, and bosses were more original and centered around at least one peculiar gimmick and not just standard attack patterns.

Comment

Working...
    X