PTE 12: The Greatest Handheld Part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTE 12: The Greatest Handheld Part 3

Day three brings Part 3 as we move into the more modern era of handheld gaming platforms. As has been covered in the previous parts we're leaning towards selecting your favourite based upon their original states rather than taking homebrew, emulators etc into account.

Part 1:
    Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Part 2:
    Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)
    Game Park GP2X
    0%
    Tapwave Zodiac
    0%
    Nintendo DS
    0%
    Nintendo DS Lite
    0%
    Nintendo DSi/XL
    0%
    Nintendo 3DS
    0%
    PSP
    0%
    PSP Slim
    0%
    PSP Go
    0%
    Gizmondo
    0%

It has to be the DS Lite for me. A lovely looking console, some superb games (ignoring all the dress up dolly type games), and the best version of Tetris that I have played.

PSP doesn't cut it for games, as most of it is available in a superior form on the PS2. Even though there are some gems in the B/C it just can't compare to the DS.

Comment

I went for DSi, but I can't really separate it from the PSP Slim. For everything on DSi, there's probably something as good on PSP, and PSP obviously has all the PSone stuff available.

I guess I went for DSi because it just felt fresher (and the battery is better) but they're both awesome.

Comment

DSi XL here. It might have been designed for Japanese pensioners but the huge screens are so lush and Nintendo fixed the DS Lite's spongy D-pad. Region-locked DSi software can take a running jump, though.

Comment

I clicked the DS Lite though I suppose the 3DS does most of the job too and is largely the same design bar region locking. Another format that was well made but disappointed me for games, the PSP was a more luxurious product but without custom firmware the system has never had enough positives to win my favour

Comment

PSP by miles. It has a fantastic library despite not many people thinking so, it has been abused with CFW too often for people to notice. It is the machine of choice for japanese games too.

Comment

Well PSP Go if we were including CFW, but as we are not then I have spent the most time with the DS. Only thing is I'm not sure which version to vote for, as I find the DS lite quite uncomfortable for some games/long sessions, the DSi XL is too big for pockets and although I think it is the one I actually spent the most gaming hours on, the original DS screens just aren't up to scratch and the battery wasn't brilliant.

The 3DS is really part of the next gen isnt it? It hasn't had enough time to be the greatest yet as it seriously lacks games!

Comment

PSP for me . Fantastic screen, decent button layout and a top selection of AAA games (that I happen to like)

Comment

3DS lacks it's own support but it has NDS support built in so for some that might be enough to justify it being their fave... well, someone voted for it!

Comment

This has been the first round i've voted in, as generally I find handheld gaming pretty blah. When I received my Jap PSP on release with ridge racer though it absolutely blew me away, I have absolutely no idea how many hours I put in to that game (Or how many I just gawped at the intro for!) but I know it was a shedload. Put many hours in to several other games too, in fact, too many to list. My funniest memory of having one in those early days was sitting playing ridge in Edinburgh airport one day, only to turn round in my seat and find there was about a dozen people (Well, teenage boys mainly) staring open mouthed at the game running.

Had been considering picking up another, but think i'll just wait for the PSV, that looks to me like an absolutely amazing bit of kit.

Comment

Choosing between the PSP and DS a 18 months ago would've been a no brainer for the DS.

Now? The PSP has some pretty great titles lined up whilst the DS is on its last legs.

The DS has TWEWY, Layton, Phoenix Wright and Dragon Quest. The PSP has KH:BBS, Persona, God of War and FF-Type 0...

Comment

Another vote for the PSP. Still play mine loads (it's actually a Slim & Lite, and I've got a Go too, but the original one is the model I've owned for the biggest duration of the consoles life, even if I don't have that model any more, hence my vote for the original).

It hit the ground running with Ridge Racers and Lumines, 2 games I still play loads, though RR2 gets more play than the first. Add the ability to play PSOne treats like FFVII & VIII and, if you're running cfw, some awesome emulation; Progear on a handheld!

Great system, I love all 3 iterations in the list.

Pre-ordered a Vita this week ... but I'll be keeping at least one of my PSP's when it arrives ... if not both.

Comment

The PSP-1000 is more popular than the Slim? After playing with the Go recently I'm concerned about the Vita's size, it's certainly going to be too big to practically take out with me making it a home only handheld which will severely impact it's play time. Hell, it's enough to dampen my enthusiasm to sub-3DS levels as the upcoming games list is starting to look just as sparse on PSV. I've got pre-orders in place but I might cancel and leave to a later date if it doesn't have enough games I want, already a PSV Slim sounds great, lol

Comment

Bah, hit PSP Go and meant to select PSP Slim. Having picked up a PSP Go a couple of weeks ago I actually like it as a console but the lack of UMD drive means I'd have to go with Slim model.

PSP is easily the format I use the most at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                            X