BPX080: 60/60 Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    Bethesda and optimisation. lol. They couldn’t optimise their way out of a 3GB 128px by 128px JPEG.

I doubt it’ll get any kind of update at all, at least outside of paid DLC and a multitude of GOTY edition rereleases.
    I think it's more Microsoft and optimisation... Like I said I don't think we will see a 60fps patch at all but I do think Microsoft will "encourage" Bethesda to continue testing and bug fixing this past launch.

This coming off the back of Redfall and Matt Booty saying it'll have the least amount of bugs even right now.

The creation engine may be a creaking monster of historic crap at this point but there's a whole community of players on PC who like to fix things and a new steward that may just keep Bethesda focused on patching in the first few months.

We will see of course, it all depends on how it stacks up at launch for a start.

Comment

Bethesda couldn’t cook a microwave meal properly. It will run like a dog’s dinner on anything but a high to ultra pc rig.

You only have to look at how careful they were when panning the camera to keep the blur down even in combat, and that was probably running on a high end pc rig for demo purposes.

Comment

Aren’t they using the same engine again for ESVI? Enough is enough, please.

Like Marty said, my condolences are already with console players. I’m very curious how it’s going to perform on the Series S.

Comment

There’s a lot of ****ing promises in that Starfield direct video, I will say that. Hopefully they learned something from CDPR’s folly.

I’m probably the biggest Global Illumination champion on this forum (maybe not so much after TW3 update), although it should definitely be a toggle - as I’m certain that’s the sole reason for 30fps on the Xbox. Mod authors have incorporated faux/quasi GI on Skyrim for an absolute pittance of an overhead on performance - I’ve no idea why mainline devs can’t look into how these things are achieved.

I’m tempted to give it another year in the oven and only get around to it once the 50-series GPUs hit. Not that my current system should struggle at all, but it’ll give us chance to finish TotK properly while the community works on the mods.

Comment

That inability to move away from a standardised 30fps is why this generation should skip Pro consoles. They're not going to be able to launch them under the guise of 8K support and even if they launched Pro models that ran games better they would still struggle to do 60fps at 4K across the board, the systems would fail to justify themselves and effort involved. Better to instead go back to not dragging out the generation as long as they have with the PS4/XBO generation and instead allow the PS6/XB5 to provide a noticeable jump for the next generation of games whilst delivering massive performance gains for all the prior gen games on Day One

Comment

I don’t think the tech will be there any time soon for them to get a £500 console out that’s leaps and bounds ahead of what there is currently, all while keeping heat and size down. Aren’t they both overly dependent on AMD for tech progression? Good luck there!

Comment

I suspect even on a 4090 Starfield isn't going to run at 4k60.
                DLSS is going to be doing some heavy lifting to get that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  I suspect even on a 4090 Starfield isn't going to run at 4k60.
                  DLSS is going to be doing some heavy lifting to get that.
                  Full RT and 60fps and above will likely tax it massively needing DLSS to run smoothly.

Which is exactly why 4k shouldn’t be the standard for games. Performance should always come first over nice screenshots for media but runs like a dogs dinner.

Comment

1440p - Adore it, always makes for an amazing balance point

Comment

A 4090 will run Starfield absolutely fine, and so will high-end 30XX series cards I would imagine.

Series X is locked 30 FPS and has nowhere close to the performance the high-end 40XX series cards have. It has half the memory bandwidth just for starters, and that before we get to clocks and GPU cores.

Recommended specs for Starfield for 1440P High are:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
                      Memory: 16 GB RAM
                      Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
                      DirectX: Version 12
                      Network: Broadband Internet connection
                      Storage: 125 GB available space
                      Additional Notes: SSD Required

The Series X is closer in performance terms to a 3060 Ti.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 20-06-2023, 09:11.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

The Series X is closer in performance terms to a 3060 Ti.
                        Which is why Dev's need to offer more options to get games running how people want them too on consoles, I'm not sure why we have gone backwards the option to run the game at a lower resolution and a higher frame rate should be standard, towards the end of the ps4's life prioritize graphics and prioritize frame-rate options appeared in loads of games. Monster hunter did this really well letting you choose from frame rate, or graphics and even offered a half way house balanced mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                          Which is why Dev's need to offer more options to get games running how people want them too on consoles, I'm not sure why we have gone backwards the option to run the game at a lower resolution and a higher frame rate should be standard, towards the end of the ps4's life prioritize graphics and prioritize frame-rate options appeared in loads of games. Monster hunter did this really well letting you choose from frame rate, or graphics and even offered a half way house balanced mode.
                          Hands up who noticed Returnal was running at 720p then upscaled? No one, because people were too busy having fun with the buttery smooth amazing combat.

Would people notice it running like a dogs dinner if 4k native was a mandate, hell yes they would because it would ruin the game experience.

Comment

The performance options in games only emerged and were supported due to the push MS and Sony made to try and help make the Pro consoles stand out. I imagine that now that that tiered system approach has largely vanished again, so has the push from the console makers so developers and publishers are likely skipping it because the wider consumer market doesn't care much about it.

Cross Gen Forza Horizon 5 is a good baseline for current gen expectations. That that game isn't pushing next-gen yet Series X has to compromise regardless of whether you pick Performance or Quality mode and despite how well Playground make the game around the system, highlighted that the second a true next -gen incarnation arrives the 30fps future is cemented. Unless progressively a mandated 60fps performance mode pushes things more and more into this territory that is:

Comment

lol i love how forza looks like faming simulator when put in very low mode, that or a mid tier xbox 360 release.

Comment

I think for me, so long as the fundamentals of a games enjoyability is there for me, I don’t need all the added bells and whistles that heighten and provide a more polished finish to the game.

Like many others on here, having been a gamer since the 80s / 90s where hardware limitations meant you got what you got. My journey in gaming is to some extent a more ‘humble’ one. So I just need the key elements that make a game fun and enjoyable to play and I’m good. Anything more is great and a bonus.

So dare I say it, 60FPS is not 100% a requirement for me. Granted, some games will benefit and be essential to some degree to have a fast frame rate. But for me, I don’t experience games at eye bleeding pace, or play competitively to need the extra frames to help me gain an advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                X