DNS settings & Network Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNS settings & Network Problems

I have a domain consisting of a Win2k3 Server, and clients, behind a Linksys router. I believe I have set up DNS correctly, but wondered if someone could cast their knowing eyes over mine for me.

The reason I ask this is because Im trying to isolate a number of problems Im having with my network at the moment. Basically, periodically, clients will lose the ability to contact the DC. Logging off and on again restores the connection. During this time, theres no way to map drives, access internet etc.

Router -
    Router IP is 192.168.1.1
    DHCP is handled by the Domain Controller, so router DHCP is not enabled.
    MTU I have set to 1500

Server
    Server IP is 192.168.1.2
    Domain is MATRIX.LOCAL

Forwarders are NTLs DNS server addresses. Clients will query the DC which will forward DNS requests to the NTL Ips below -
    #1 is 194.168.4.100
    #2 is 194.168.8.100

Forward Lookup Zone
    matrix.local
    Reverse Lookup Zone
    192.168.1.X

Clients are on DHCP, but have DNS pointing to the DC which is 192.168.1.2

The eventlog of a client points to a problem with the Master Browser -

"The browser was unable to retrieve a list of domains from the browser Master \\ORACLE on the network Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD137C61-E39C-4540-BF2F-A1C94F1EFE35}. The data is the error code."

"The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD137C61-E39C-4540-BF2F-A1C94F1EFE35}. The backup browser is stopping."

The server doesnt log anything of note during these times though.
Working...
X