Console industry info wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Console industry info wanted

Though I'd like to talk about the games as much as the most of you, there's still a tough nut to crack for me: writing a dissertation on "the new generation of gaming consoles". This happens the business standpoint, so that?s the kind of info I?m looking for (and have some trouble finding).

Anyway, I?m quite stuck with the following questions, and if anyone can possibly help me out with one of them, you?ll earn a good Belgian beer (provided you come to Belgium to claim it, that is ):

1) A ?frequent? business model in the console industry is the ?razors & razorblades? model: selling hardware at a loss, and recoup that loss with the sales of software. I wonder, though, how frequent is that model? I know XBox is sold at a loss, but what about the other consoles (PS2, GC, DC, GBA)? Thing is, I?d like some figures, so the thing I?m looking after here is the (estimated) production cost (and evolution of it) for any of those consoles.

2) Aside from that, I?m also looking for hardware & software sales figures since the introduction of the PS2. Since I?m a poor student (well, I?ve got internet, but that?s about it ), I just can?t buy any of those reports by Screen Digest etc., which means I?m a bit stuck with UK hardware sales (in %) and Famitsu & Dengeki data. Compiling Japanese sales data is going pretty well, but I?m lacking info on some weeks, and especially older data (summer 2002 and before). Does anybody here know where I might get this sales data? Also, can anybody give me any insight on the way in which Famitsu collects its sales data? I.e., are they representative, trustworthy, etc.?

I know I?m asking for a lot, but I appreciate even the smallest info you can give me. So, do not hesitate to answer (a source is always welcome, though), through this topic or by pm... It's for a good cause

Kind regards,

Migu
Working...
X