Laptop specific query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop specific query

Looking like the evening on here tonight for PC problems, so I thought I'd offer a headscratcher for some of you more wisened members.

Now, I'm by no means a PC novice, but the following occured only a few hours ago:

Basically, was watching some random youtube video as I make a habit of doing and rather coincidentally I felt, as soon as the video ended my laptop completely locked up, couldn't ctrl, alt, delete or anything so had to power off and on again. Only when I did, the laptop wouldn't boot into windows, just sat at the booting windows screen until again I ended up having to switch off and on again. Ran the system diagnostics and I was given an error code, dell specific I think, of 2000-0146 which when researched effectively told me my hard drive had failed. Now, I had no idea whether or not it actually had, but there was no sound coming from it as there usually was so I thought everything can't be ok with it, despite only having the laptop since may of this year and not displaying any symptoms or errors prior to this point. My usually keen instincts told me however, rather than send the sodding thing back to dell for repair and not likely seeing it again until Febuary or something daft like that, I used Dell's equivalent of a system wipe and reinstall.

Long story short, an hour of reinstalling later and it's as if the problem never existed (well apart from my laptop being wiped of all it's data). So I guess what I'm asking is, could something have changed my hard drive's settings to fool the diagnostic into believing the drive was dead? Or have I got it back working only temporarily before it dies again?

Any help or advice as always is greatly appreciated
Working...
X