The Taste of a Worthington Original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Taste of a Worthington Original

On a regular basis there seems to be an up and coming actor that seems to suddenly get the groundswell of Hollywood around them. Almost overnight they seem to have projects launching left, right and centre and they're on social media and news feeds daily. Sometimes they go on to fufill this role that has been thrust upon them and sometimes they don't, it's an effect that I most strongly recall from the fuss that was made around Sam Worthington back when Avatar launched.

We had that film, the Titans films, Terminator Salvation in close succession and in the end it didn't pan out the way Hollywood was pushing. That's not to say he hasn't had a long career, Worthington has been gainfully employed through the passing years in a range of films and continues to be so even as Avatar sequels loom, his profile being more low key these days.

A more recentish example I can recall is the sudden emergence of a toned up Chris Pratt. After finishing Parks and Rec he buffed up for Guardians of the Galaxy and then voice The Lego Movie and with appearances elsewhere the boom and bust Hollywood casting obsession effect seemed to be at play again with many expecting the bubble to burst. Ten years on though he's still leading hit films and most projects where it's expected things will go sour, he emerges from still on top as seen recently with the Mario movie.

Which actors come to mind when it comes to the phenomenon of Hollywood seeming to have just decided that they are the next big thing?

Who is the first instance of this you can recall?

Ever expect someones career trajectory to cool off and called it wrong? Or the opposite?

And is there any current or upcoming actor who gives you the taste of being the next Worthington original?

I like this because it's increasingly rare that I can say these words but - I'm a little to young to know for sure whether this actor was a 'thing' back in the day or just happened to be in a couple of prominent films at the time but would the earliest example of this possibly be Michael Beihn?

Comment

Chris Pine.

So many movies where they seemed determined to make him the next 'leading man', and honestly I think tons of them weren't right for him.

The only movie in which I have really liked his leading performance to the point of not even thinking about this was the Dungeons & Dragons movie.

Comment

I thought he was great in the Star Trek films and, yes, he was perfect for Dungeons & Dragons.

Another Terminator one here - Jai Courtney. No ide what his story is or whether he had one big breakout that made people think he'd be the next big thing but I never saw it.

Comment

Jai Courtney is a great one, it's interesting and I wonder if his non-leading roles led to it. I don't feel he was terrible in Terminator, more woefully miscast especially for an entry that opens focused on directly parralleling the original. In his non-leading roles he comes across so much better. That also dovetails into Emilia Clarke - technically she doesn't meet the criteria as her push as a big thing is clearly off the back of Game of Thrones but from the get go it was clearly not going to work, she has minimal screen charisma and bad as it sounds... I don't think she's actually that great an actress with her coming off quite poorly from Genesys, Solo and Secret Invasion (I just checked her filmography and it's surprisingly short)

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I thought he was great in the Star Trek films and, yes, he was perfect for Dungeons & Dragons.
            I was never a fan of those movies, so that probably had an impact. But I came away remembering Hemsworth and Quinto's performances, not so much Pine's.

Neon Ignition - for Terminator Salvation; I do wonder how he would've performed if the movie had ran its course. IIRC there were two huge issues with it; the script was leaked early which spoiled the ending, and a work cut of the trailer leaked which spoiled the mid-twist (that Worthington's character was a cyborg). The studio had to change the movie mid-production after scenes were filmed, where they modifed parts of that reveal and the ending. You never know; it's possible some of his best scenes were left on the cutting room floor.
            Last edited by Asura; 23-04-2024, 08:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              I don't think she's actually that great an actress with her coming off quite poorly from Genesys, Solo and Secret Invasion (I just checked her filmography and it's surprisingly short)
              I would agree. Not even sure what it is but she didn't feel like she was a movie actor when she was in Solo. I don't know what that quality is.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

I was never a fan of those movies, so that probably had an impact. But I came away remembering Hemsworth and Quinto's performances, not so much Pine's.

Neon Ignition - for Terminator Salvation; I do wonder how he would've performed if the movie had ran its course. IIRC there were two huge issues with it; the script was leaked early which spoiled the ending, and a work cut of the trailer leaked which spoiled the mid-twist (that Worthington's character was a cyborg). The studio had to change the movie mid-production after scenes were filmed, where they modifed parts of that reveal and the ending. You never know; it's possible some of his best scenes were left on the cutting room floor.
                Possible but he's an actor where I've seen him in some smaller stuff too and he's pretty much the same across the board so it's hard to imagine Salvation would have been much different in any cut. Him being revealed to be a robot feels almost like an excuse for the acting

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

I would agree. Not even sure what it is but she didn't feel like she was a movie actor when she was in Solo. I don't know what that quality is.
                  I can only think that with GOT it was much of a case of her suiting that specific role. Actually, it might even be what reveals why she doesn't work well in other stuff as she was less convincing in her GOT role the further the seasons ran, never really selling the developments the character took in later eps.

Here's one if we're dice rolling with current stars - Tom Holland

Bear with me, I don't mind the guy and I don't think he's bad but I do feel he's pretty much entirely bouyed by Sony and the Spider-Man films. When they end...

Comment

Geez enough with the Aussie bashing

Not entirely convinced Sam is a good example I actually like him in a lot of his films and he is a actually a pretty good actor, but man he has chosen some stinkers. Despite this he has definitely kept himself busy without taking the world by storm. And lets not forget - THE NUMBERS MASON! that he was in the best COD since MW.

Jai is an odd one, he was so good in Spartacus and was rightly noticed, but again he has not chosen the best characters or movies since. I actually really liked Terminator Salvation

Chris Pine I thought has was great in Star Trek ; for me he definitely has leading man qualities. His best so far is definitely Hell or High Water (with the criminally underrated Ben Foster).

Maybe I'd put Clive Owen in this category, I think he's a damn fine actor but again has been in some really bad films as well.

Comment

Might bite me on the backside but having seen her in three films in three months... Sydney Sweeney...

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                        I'd put Clive Owen in this category, I think he's a damn fine actor but again has been in some really bad films as well.
                        I've heard that this is by choice, though. Like he cut his teeth in Shakespeare and period dramas, prestige acting stuff. Then, after Sin City, he developed a taste for working in action movies, and thereafter he did loads of terrible straight-to-DVD and b-tier action movies, but he says it's because the work pays well, and he loves doing them. Gotta respect the hustle I guess.

Comment

Aah, the Neeson Effect

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

I've heard that this is by choice, though. Like he cut his teeth in Shakespeare and period dramas, prestige acting stuff. Then, after Sin City, he developed a taste for working in action movies, and thereafter he did loads of terrible straight-to-DVD and b-tier action movies, but he says it's because the work pays well, and he loves doing them. Gotta respect the hustle I guess.
                            Fair enough! Full credit for doing his own thing

An yep Neon, Liam has taken FULL advantage in this regard and who can blame him.

I am reminded of when Michael Caine went through that period of ordinary/awful films, and was quite open basically saying the pay's good. Obviously his career took off again due to his bloody good acting but even better movie choices so it didn't harm him in the end.

Comment

His Jaws: The Revenge quote remains brilliant:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts, it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific"

Comment

Working...
                              X