PTE48: Comic Movie Worlds Collide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTE48: Comic Movie Worlds Collide

Though comic book related films have existed for a lot longer and more than the above have come out in the timeframe I'm referencing here, the above films represent the big releases over the last 15 years. Yes, though the exact starting point can be debated it is arguably the 15th anniversary this year of when the current comic film renaissance began when Blade was released and the ball started rolling on a growing swell of popularity. It's arguable that Blade was responsible for reminding the public that such films weren't relegated to cheesefests and that Xmen fully kicked open the mass market doors. Now 2 of the top 5 grossing films of all time are comic films and those involved can carry a lot of hollywood influence like Goyer who has had the chance to pen for both DC's biggest hero's.

If I've missed your favourite give it a call out. Now that the last such film has released for this year, what has been your favourite of the last 15 years high?
    Blade
    0%
    Blade II
    0%
    Blade Trinity
    0%
    X-Men
    0%
    X-Men 2
    0%
    X-Men 3: The Last Stand
    0%
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    0%
    The Wolverine
    0%
    Spiderman
    0%
    Spiderman 2
    0%
    Spiderman 3
    0%
    The Amazing Spiderman
    0%
    Daredevil
    0%
    Elektra
    0%
    Hulk
    0%
    Hellboy
    0%
    Hellboy II: The Golden Army
    0%
    Punisher
    0%
    Punisher: War Zone
    0%
    Batman Begins
    0%
    The Dark Knight
    0%
    The Dark Knight Rises
    0%
    Catwoman
    0%
    Fantastic Four
    0%
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    0%
    V for Vendetta
    0%
    Ghost Rider
    0%
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
    0%
    Superman Returns
    0%
    Man of Steel
    0%
    Iron Man
    0%
    Iron Man 2
    0%
    Iron Man 3
    0%
    The Incredible Hulk
    0%
    Thor
    0%
    Thor: The Dark World
    0%
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    0%
    The Avengers
    0%
    Wanted
    0%
    Watchmen
    0%
    The Spirit
    0%
    Kick Ass
    0%
    Kick Ass 2
    0%
    Green Hornet
    0%
    Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    0%
    Green Lantern
    0%

loved blade 2 i think its one of the first dvds i ever bought the avengers though was a fantastic pay off to a long build up and that is why i am wary that Dc can do the same with the justice league film

Comment

Is it staring me in the face of is First Class missing. Not sure what I'd pick though. Should Dredd be in there?

Comment

Loved it in Blade II when ninjas infiltrate his base, there's a criminally poor CGI fight sequence then the ninja reveals himself to be Cat from Red Dwarf!

Donnie Yen is in this, but I can't remember where!

Comment

Damn it, I had First Class to put in this but must have accidentally skipped it when entering the options

Comment

Dredd should be in there... and From Hell, 300... I'm going to vote for Spiderman 3 as a 'spoiled ballot' to register my disapproval.

Comment

Dear god I love Kick Ass and there's one or two others that arevstrong contenders but MoS took it

Comment

Holy ****, you included Catwoman!!! That's barely a film let alone a comic book film!

No movie will ever have the same effect on me as the original blade movie. The opening night club sequence is stuff off legend for my generation. No one expected it nor saw it coming. It was the film that started it all and proved what magic could be created with great casting and respect to the source material. I wouldn't say it's my all time fave (that would probably be tdk or tdkr) but it's the reason we got the amazing dark knight trilogy, beleived a man could fly and some half decent mutant action on screen to name a few.

Now if you consider the sequel took everything great about the first movie, ramped it up whilst righting done tiny wrongs ( great end fight as opposed to it's predecessor) and gave us an amazingly bad ass tragic villan..... Well that's why it gets my vote.
                Last edited by bash; 03-11-2013, 16:38.

Comment

I enjoyed a lot of the movies on this list but seeing them all together brings home how low I'd rate many of them in the grand scheme of movies generally. Very few would ever make it onto a must-watch for me. Really rate Dark Knight but it's almost in spite of being a Batman movie rather than because of it. Avengers is probably my highest rated on this list in terms of really embracing the superhero thing and doing it in such a fun way with no moments I would be embarrassed watching.

Comment

There's been a lot of guff for sure. I have the same issue with TDK, it's the best made of the trilogy but not my fave as for all it gets right it loses too much of Begins character of actually being a Batman film. Avengers stands quite tall too for the reasons you mention and I rate Spiderman 2 as well as it was the one to really nail that incarnation though the new versions might top it in time thanks to the reduced cheese. There's a few in there that get worse reps than I feel they deserve though.

Comment

Working...
                    X