Bordersdown Film of the Half-Decade & 2014 Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bordersdown Film of the Half-Decade & 2014 Results

So, the voting for the 2014 Film of the Year is complete and the results have been tallied. However, the vote itself was a notable one as it was the fifth Film of the Year vote in a row. So, to celebrate we have another vote in the form of a poll. But first...

Here are the results for the Bordersdown vote for Film of the Year 2014!

In third place is... Edge of Tomorrow
    Tom Cruise's sci-fi invasion film might have struggled at the US box office but it thankfully made up for it internationally and the reaction by those who saw it has been positive as proven by it defeating the opposition and climbing up to the third place position in our vote... or did it simply relive the voting process again and again until it worked out how to be victorious?

In second place is... Interstellar
    An ever present feature in these votes, Christopher Nolans film found itself charting the vastness of space and into our second place spot.

The winner of Film of the Year is.... Guardians of the Galaxy
    Clearly a winning year for sci-fi films, Guardians proved to be one of Marvels biggest rolls of the dice and it paid off in style as GOTG raced its way into being our film of the year choice.

So, now to the Film of the Half-Decade voting. As the choices are already set, this one will be in the form of a poll with choices limited to one vote per person. The above list is the top 3 films from each of the last 3 years as voted by the users of the site. Make your selection and discuss the films and your choice below. Has your opinion changed for better or worse on any of these films we once voted to the top?
    Inception
    0%
    Kick Ass
    0%
    Toy Story 3
    0%
    Drive
    0%
    Senna
    0%
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    0%
    The Avengers
    0%
    The Dark Knight Rises
    0%
    Skyfall
    0%
    Gravity
    0%
    Man of Steel
    0%
    D'jango Unchained
    0%
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    0%
    Interstellar
    0%
    Edge of Tomorrow
    0%

I don't think any film I've voted for in the last 5 years is on that list. That puts me in a quandary, as anything I vote for wouldn't feature in my list, were I to tally my own top films of the half-decade

Comment

Yeah its a little mainstream. Nice to see Senna on the list mind.

I'd have an easier time picking if the likes of the way way back, black swan, the wolf of wall st, the skin i live in, gone girl, the social network, silver linings playbook, take shelter, killer joe, rabbit hole, boyhood etc were on the list.

With that in mind interstellar is the easy choice, followed by inception.
      Last edited by PaTaito; 11-01-2015, 14:42.

Comment

I'm going to set a cut off point for voting as Monday 19th Jan, get your votes in!

Comment

It was a tough one to consider for me. Overall, of the ones I've seen, it's a line up of films I've enjoyed. Looking back though Inception, Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall are all films that I don't rate quite as highly as when they first came out. I really like Avengers as well but it's probably no longer my very top Marvel film either if I had to choose. It's a slightly less standard choice but I find that 5 years on, TS3 still build beautifully on the original, is expertly crafted and still leaves an impression when I rewatch it.

Comment

Edge of Tomorrow would have won had it not had Tom Cruise in it. Great plot but why the **** they chose him is beyond me.

Man of Steel I watched the most as visually it was a bit special.

Kick Ass is the best pure film - no special effects stuff overshadowing a meh plot.

Comment

I went to a friend's house last night as he's just bought a projector and turned one of his rooms into a cinema/music room.

I was green with envy.

We all agreed to watch Inception as we hadn't seen it since the cinema and would be a good test of the kit.

I'd forgotten how good a film it is. It's my favourite Nolan film because the nonsensical elements that hamper his other films - following Love during the middle of a quest to save mankind, crawling out of a well in the Middle-East and walking to Gotham, creating a magician clone but not explaining where it went in the first test or killing anyone not only with the name John G but anything remotely similar.

There's lots of great sequences - Ariadne manipulating a dream Paris, the Bond-homage snow base assault, car chase in Manhattan, dream within a dream, slow-mo bus falling, the crumbling city of limbo, the fight in the rotating hotel corridoor and so on.

Plus its plot is dense enough to warrant multiple rewatches. I noticed Cobb never actually tests his totem again after leaving the drug test sleep...

Comment

Funnily enough I watched inception on the train home from work in York this week. The first time I saw it I thought it was rubbish, I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. I had watched it once more since then and my opinion of it really changed. With the third viewing this week I've went full circle from the poor opinion to thinking it's absolutely excellent, quite an achievement considering how much I tend to dislike Dicaprio in films.

Out of all the films listed above I would still choose Kick Ass as my favourite, I must be in double figures for the amount of viewings now and still find it an utterly joyous romp from start to finish. I'm still smarting from how awful the follow up was though.......

I think with repeated viewings GotG could start creeping up my favourites list, and Senna and The Avengers are already up there.

Comment

And voting is closed! Based on votes listed as of this moment, the top 3 films based on votes cast by Bordersdown members is...

Joint Second Place - Inception and Interstellar
                  A double whammy attempt for Chris Nolan but he couldn't quite topple the combined might of the winner

Bordersdown Film of the Last Half Decade is:

The Avengers

Comment

Meh guardians is a better film.

Comment

And Pacific Rim is even better.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        And Pacific Rim is even better.
                        ...than nothing ever.

Comment

Working...