MCD2: Movie Chart Discussion - The Joy of Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Garfield Movie - Box Office Mojo
    Business dropped off but the film still saw its earnings claw their way to $152m worldwide

IF - Box Office Mojo
    Families had a choice which meant this hit $138m this week

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga - Box Office Mojo
    Holding fairly well, the fifth Max film collided with $114m this week

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - Box Office Mojo
    The apes began to see their earnings slow in line with other films meaning this will likely settle close behind its predecessors

The Fall Guy - Box Office Mojo
    The actioner hit $157m this week, its run coming to an end soon

The Strangers: Chapter 1 - Box Office Mojo
    Another $9m to reach $32m meant this is still making far more per week than it cost to make

Kung Fu Panda 4 - Box Office Mojo
    The Panda hit $539m this week showing the franchise has lost popularity but there would easily be value in another entry

This week sees the release of the summer seasons next great hope - Bad Boys: Ride or Die

Comment

Bad Boys: Ride or Die - Box Office Mojo
      Proving to be one of the few successful launches of the season, the fourth entry opened to a healthy $104m worldwide

Holding steady, the animated hit tallied up $192m this week

IF - Box Office Mojo
      Whilst despite running for a good while now, this continued its rise by hitting $160m this week

Another week in and $359m was the new total

Slowing down, the prequel screeched in with $144m this week

This week will see many screens freed up for Inside Out 2

Comment

Can't get my head around how Apes is so much more popular than Furiosa.
        It's not a bad film, but just a bit vanilla in comparison to Miller's epic.

Comment

I think it’s probably simple enough. Firstly, the apes films are more popular than anyone seems to think they are and they’ve done really well. This is a sequel so it’s an easy sell. I think the Mad Max films, as much as they are loved by many, aren’t as popular as many seem to think they are and, honestly, I think prequels are a tougher sell and the Furiosa trailers didn’t quite nail a hook. It’s a shame given the budget of the movie but the expectations were probably just too high.

Comment

Unlikely but if Warners could make the final film something more intimate, reusing props and vehicles and sets then the final entry could probably be profitable. Furiosa has underperfomed massively by Fury Road standards but is still big by the original trilogy's bar. Realistically though, Fury Road was very specific in terms of delivery and short of a literal Fury Road 2 with a more 'present' Max I imagine there's not much they can do.

Comment

Yeah, I think having Mad Max in a Mad Max film might help if a sequel is ever made.

Comment

Inside Out 2 - Box Office Mojo
                Providing the industry with the success it needed, the sequel opened to $295m worldwide - one of the largest animated openings ever

Bad Boys: Ride or Die - Box Office Mojo
                Meanwhile the fourth entry in the action franchise also held well building up to $214m worldwide in its second week and pushing the film into profitability territory

Slowing down a lot by comparison, the apes swung to $374m this week

And the lasagne loving pussy ate up $217m

With its engine stalling now, the prequel hit $160m

This week lacks a major release meaning we can expect solid sophomore number for Pixar

Comment

Working...
                X