X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollywood Hot Wheels: Round 02

WELCOME TO:

HOLLYWOOD HOT WHEELS: ROUND 02

The second bend on our race through the history of the industries most recognisable vehicles covering all manners of iconic designs from film, tv and gaming, their history and what you think of them.

Each round will see three vehicles lined up for the showcase. Unlike the voting conducted in the other threads, here things are more cutthroat.

You each can only vote for a single design in each round, casting the other two to the scrapheap of Hollywood history.
    Make your choice then tell us why you like or don't like each vehicle and why you voted for the one you did.

VEHICLE 004 - General Lee

Instantly recognisable without even catching sight of it, you just need to hear that famous horn. The General Lee had welded doors meaning the Dukes boys had to climb through the open windows and amazingly several hundred of them were used during the making of the show with as few as 17 still remaining today. The very first of all of them still exists today but following the backlash over the Confederate Flag its owner has painted off the flag on the cars rooftop.

Is this one your Round Two choice and if anyone disagrees would you tell them to put up their Dukes?

VEHICLE 005 - Airwolf

An advanced prototype stealth helicopter, the chopper is first stolen and used in assaults in Libya but is then recovered and operated from a secret base by Archangel and Stringfellow Hawke. The helicopter is the most consistent element in the show despite a growing reliance on stock footage as the fourth season opened by killing off or writing out, to darker fates, the original cast and bringing in a new one for one run. A Bell 222 helicopter dressed up for the part, the original was stripped down after the first three seasons ended and converted to an air ambulance. It's Airwolf parts are now owned by a private collector whilst the helicopter itself crashed in fog in the 90's. A full size replica was later produced and passed several hands to where it sits now, on the roof of a Bel Air home.

A Wolf or a Sheep?

VEHICLE 006 - Mutts Cuts Van

A juiced up Ford Ecoline van, Dumb and Dumber saw it covered in fur and spawning its own fanbase. Two were made for the film but only one used in the end, this one being in a car museum now. It's appearance literally is the main star of the show with its big nose, hanging tongue and flappy ears.

But, is it better than the other two options this round?

Which is the ultimate Hollywood Hot Wheel?
    General Lee
    0%
    Airwolf
    0%
    Mutts Cuts Van
    0%

It's probably a bit questionable voting for a car with a confederate flag on the roof but the muscle car gets my vote this time. I loved the Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid and that was the first time I'd seen a Dodge Charger ... my big bro telling me it had something like a 7-litre engine in it ... this it a time when most UK cars didn't have the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding ... including our toad-like, dark green Austin Maxi.

Comment

I'm of the same view. The flag on the roof makes for an awkward feature but as far as I'm aware it wasn't featured with any ill intent and was there in context of the show set up and the period it was made so I kind of take it in that context.

Airwolf is basically air-Kitt but I think my issue with it lies mostly with it being a much less interesting version. Other than being a stealth chopper with a boost I don't think there's much to it and in appearance it's still pretty much just a black helicopter.

The Dumb and Dumber van I think is mostly only notable because of how ridiculous it is so on balance the GL takes it for me

Comment

The Mutts Cutts van is decent, but by this point, the interior is covered with hotdog mustard. Plus there's no radio.
        I believe the vehicle is in disrepair after the previous owners exchanged it for a hog.

Airwolf is mint. It looks cool AF, and has an amazing theme tune, but it's not very practical. Michael Knight and the Duke bros. got into loads of terrestrial japes, but I can only ever remember Airwolf landing in the secret volcano base.
        I'm sorry Dominic and Stringfellow, but you can keep this impractical beast.
        I might have to reconsider a helicopter if Blue Thunder makes a voting round.

So, it's the General Lee for me.
        The Confederate Flag was from simpler times when we were kids without the connotations it now brings and it was addressed in the remake film. I'd probably swap it for a rainbow flag or BLM logo to really wind up the rednecks.

That out of the way, the car is phenomenal.
        Big, bright Hemi orange with that distinctive 01 on the side.
        Normally, a 5-spoke wheel looks great (see the Lotus Esprit on the last round), but the GL's black with silver spokes looks great.

The two scoops on the door, probably do nothing for aerodynamics, but look great.
        I doubt those bull bars on the front serve any real function either, but also add to the rural vibe.

I love the theme tune here too, but as a kid they made me believe a car could fly and is part of a lifelong obsession with car stunts.

I had a bunch of Dukes of Hazzard merch over the years, including a replica metal model, a Wrist Racer, Finger Racer and Barn Buster set, which was mint because it was gyro and you revved it up and it pootled along, then hit a switch and it boosted out of the barn into some barrels.

Only 17 of the 325 cars remain and I don't remember seeing one at Dezerland last year, but they definitely had one at the Keswick Cars of the Stars musuem.

HOWEVER!

I also got to see The General Lee in person when I was a kid.
        Here's one of my all-time favourite pictures of my grandad, me and my dad in front of the General Lee at a show they took me to once, holding a toy version of the car they'd treated me to.
        This couldn't be more 80s.

I really miss my family, but have lovely memories like this to think back on.

Comment

I had that Barnbusters set! It was epic. Bastard painful if you caught your skin in the wheels after revving it up, though.

Comment

Phenomenal post [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] … love that family pic, what an amazing moment/memory

Comment

One of these vehicles has slapper bars and a Hemi. Instant win.

I had that General Lee wrist racer! Used to annoy my Mum running it along the kitchen counter.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Phenomenal post @QualityChimp … love that family pic, what an amazing moment/memory
                I wasn't sure about posting, but it's interesting to think how much of my childhood was spent thinking about the General Lee jumping some creek in Hazzard, plus how my family knew what stuff I liked.

Comment

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you do something like...

vote for the Mutt's Cutts van

...and totally redeem yourself!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X