BPX071: Sail the Streams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPX071: Sail the Streams

It's always been the case that digital content has been revoked from public access however in the last seven years, since we last had this discussion, we've seen a huge growth in digital software sales and in streaming services. Going hand in hand with that has been the rise in companies opting not to release physical media copies of content. The aim is to try and bind subscribers into staying with the service but the side effect is that even more content is now destined to be lost in time once said companies opt to remove them.

This is something that has been in the spotlight more since recent events such as the Warner Bros merger which has seen multiple projects, including already released ones, pulled in order to class them as tax right offs meaning that they will never see broadcast ever again. This includes access to purchased content and many have taken to piracy to create physical back ups of shows such as WandaVision, Final Space etc before they are potentially lost forever. It's a return of a consideration that streaming once looked like it would effectively shut down and whilst it remains a much smaller utilised industry threat than it was once touted to be are we looking at the permanent loss of content continuing to be a frequently common way of life that people will accept or are we potentially setting out on a road that might effectively be seen as...

"Ye better start believin' in a resurgent era of piracy..."

"Yer in one!"

What is your current stance of piracy, has it changed in the last several years?
    I'm fine with it in all forms, it does no major harm
    0%
    Only where official means aren't available
    0%
    Not sure
    0%
    It's mostly bad except one or two examples of preseveration
    0%
    It's unacceptable in any form
    0%

I'll download retro games but nothing that can still be bought. Been this way for a number of years. I'm more short of time than cash.

Comment

Final Space got canned? Damnit!

Generally speaking, if it's retro or no longer available to buy anywhere I'm fine with it. I'd love a DVD release of Downtown but it's never happening. Same deal if a show/movie/whatever disappears from streaming.

Comment

I just generally do whatever. Hasn't changed in recent years. I think I buy more than otherwise generally though.

Comment

I've enjoyed the recent MCU series but thankfully not to the extent that I'd say any of them were essential in any way or rewatchable. If Disney were to make a Disney+ exclusive MCU film then I think that would frustrate me given the absence of physical media releases meaning it would eventually cease to be. Given that even via streaming nothing remains highly watched forever, the refusal to do releases for the people who would inevitable want complete collections feels like a rough move.

But in cases like Final Space things are also now being removed for very cold callous reasons by businesses so I can see why the viewpoint on securing a permanent copy of these shows etc via these methods is a softening view for some compared to a few years back when the prospect of streaming seemed more like a solution than a commitment to the end of ownership

Comment

Working...
          X