No announcement yet.

UK XI: Degrees of Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Radio 2 loses 1 million listeners since Ken Bruce departure | BBC | The Guardian
    After the stations very rudely handled booting out of Bruce, a chunk of his listeners have followed with him

Comment

Interest rates rise to 5.25% and the Bank of England says it will keep them high for at least two years

Wilko's has gone into Administration

Comment

Whilst Cineworld has finally escaped closure

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ing-12000-jobs
          Wilko's has gone into Administration
          It's a weird shop Wilco, like a cross between a pound shop and a DIY shop, I'm surprised that in a post Woolworths world that its lasted so long.

Comment

Sadiq Khan expands £2,000 Ulez grant to all Londoners with non-compliant vehicles | London | The Guardian
            So, turns out there was more that could be done

Comment

Storm Antoni to bring ‘unseasonably strong’ winds and heavy rain to UK | UK weather | The Guardian
              The first named summertime Storm will hit this weekend.

I know many countries are suffering insane temps due to climate change but I just want to say that this summer in the Uk, the weather has been spectacular - *chef's kiss*

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Storm Antoni to bring ‘unseasonably strong’ winds and heavy rain to UK | UK weather | The Guardian
                The first named summertime Storm will hit this weekend.

I know many countries are suffering insane temps due to climate change but I just want to say that this summer in the Uk, the weather has been spectacular - *chef's kiss*
                It's 7:56am as I right this and I've just walked 20 minutes from the train station to my house (after a night on the piss) in 86 degrees. Still early morning and it's 86 degrees Fahrenheit . My neck is red raw now. Holly crap, this summer is a killer.
                Fingers crossed the typhoon due on Tuesday cools things down.
                Last edited by Yakumo; 07-08-2023, 09:23.

Comment

It's not 86c if you're still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    It's not 86c if you're still alive.
                    Oops, my brain was thinking imperial while I'm writing in metric. I'll change that to 30 degrees Celsius. Today the temperature peaked at 35.3 degrees Celsius which is just over 95 Fahrenheit.

Comment

That is damn hot!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          It's 7:56am as I right this and I've just walked 20 minutes from the train station to my house (after a night on the piss) in 86 degrees. Still early morning and it's 86 degrees Celsius. My neck is red raw now. Holly crap, this summer is a killer.
                          Fair play as well, only getting home at nearly 8am after a night on the gypsy's kiss is good going!

Comment

It's 7:56am as I right this and I've just walked 20 minutes from the train station to my house (after a night on the piss) in 86 degrees. Still early morning and it's 86 degrees Celsius. My neck is red raw now. Holly crap, this summer is a killer.
                            It was about 30 when we left for home a few weeks ago, arrived in Paris for the connection at 1800 local, 33 degrees and wall to wall blue. Got back to Manchester and it was nice and balmy at 12 (and of course pissing it down).
                            It's pissed it down ever since.

Hope you got through the typhoon ok.

Comment

Oops, my brain was thinking imperial while I'm writing in metric. I'll change that to 30 degrees Celsius. Today the temperature peaked at 35.3 degrees Celsius which is just over 95 Fahrenheit.
                              Wow!

The difference with Japan summer to the British summer I've found myself talking about recently is related, namely the night-time temperature. In the UK, we've had some good summers (and individual summer days in bad ones) in recent years that have been fantastic, getting up to the mid-30s in a manner not disimilar to a coastal resort in Spain.

But the difference in the UK is that as soon as the sun is three-quarters of the way across the sky, the heat dissipates. True, we occasionally have a period where it might be a bit warmer at night, but it's uncommon.

In Japan, at least in central Kanto, obviously it gets cooler when the sun goes down but sometimes you barely notice, especially with the humidity. It's kinda nice in one way; in that while there, I thought nothing of going out at 10:30pm and going to the supermarket to do my weekly shop. You'd happily walk out in shorts and t-shirt because you knew it was going to be comparably warm to the day-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                                It was about 30 when we left for home a few weeks ago, arrived in Paris for the connection at 1800 local, 33 degrees and wall to wall blue. Got back to Manchester and it was nice and balmy at 12 (and of course pissing it down).
                                It's pissed it down ever since.

Hope you got through the typhoon ok.
                                Ah, the Typhoon is due to hit this Wednesday evening. The actual center won't come over Japan but it will head straight in to Korea. It's on a collision course at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X