Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desert Island Games: Choose 5 retro games

DESERT ISLAND GAMES

Choose five retro games that would keep you entertained on a desert island.

My list:

1. F-Zero (The fast-paced action never gets boring. I'd try to beat Master difficulty.)
    2. SWOS (Tons of content and addictive gameplay would keep me entertained for years.)
    3. Darius Gaiden (The different paths help to keep things interesting -- and the graphics and music always captivate me.)
    4. Parodius (Any game from this fun series would put a smile on my face and help me to stay calm.)
    5. Super Mario Kart (I'd try my best to master the game and beat the times of the best players.)
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-11-2018, 11:18.

Isn't this the same as saying what your 5 favourite retro games are?

Anyways my list would be:

Final Fight - I'd try and go for a 1CC clear which is easier said than done.

Metal Slug - The first, and arguably the best one.

Ketsui - To try and clear both loops I would need longer than one lifetime on a desert island to achieve.

Elevator Action Returns - I strangely love this one, it's slow paced gameplay sits really well with me.

Tetris - Specifically a Grandmaster title...Terror Instinct if I've got all that time to spare. The most perfect game ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
      Isn't this the same as saying what your 5 favourite retro games are?

Well, it's more about choosing a range of games that would keep you occupied until you're rescued. My list is made up of a range of titles that would not only interest me but also boost my spirits. If it were a simple 'Top 5', the list would be quite a bit different.

I could easily replace each title, as there are plenty of retro games to cover all bases. Maybe I should have put a fighter and puzzle game? Including a strategy game could be a wise choice. It's certainly not easy choosing just five games.

Final Fight - I'd try and go for a 1CC clear which is easier said than done.

Elevator Action Returns - I strangely love this one, it's slow paced gameplay sits really well with me.
      Yeah, trying to 1CC Final Fight would keep you busy. Elevator Action Returns is a nice choice.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-11-2018, 17:28.

Comment

Having a puzzle game in there is a good idea, they are perfectly suited to long term play. I don't think Tetris would ever get dull, especially some of the Arika titles. Vs fighters are only ever good if you have another player, unless you spend all that time learning and when you are rescued you can go and clean up at EVO

Comment

Having a puzzle game in there is a good idea, they are perfectly suited to long term play.
          I guess I'd go for Super Puzzle Fighter because I like the range of characters and overall presentation.

unless you spend all that time learning and when you are rescued you can go and clean up at EVO
          From rags to riches.

Comment

I would probably go with...
            • Alien Soldier - I've never finished it and find it very difficult; I'm sure I'd get weeks out of that.
            • Burnout 3 - Probably my favourite ever racing game (that doesn't hinge on multiplayer) which has loads of challenges to do, so that'd occupy some serious time.
            • X:Tension - or just one of the X series. Or maybe Frontier: Elite 2. In any case, a space-trader, as those are huge games you can play for years.
            • Total War - Any of them, really. Again, great value and you can play them for ages.
            • Vagrant Story - Because I might actually finish it this time.

It's a tricky one really because I'm tilting towards titles which I could play for a very long time before I would start to become bored. Thing is, most people here will be aware that most of my favourite games are arcade-style titles, co-op experiences, MMO games and fighting games (and I dislike playing fighting games in single-player). For instance, I love the Mario Kart games but play very little of them solo.

Comment

1) Yoshi's Island
              2) Power Stone 1
              3) Wave Race 64
              4) J.J. Squawkers
              5) Rapid Hero

This might change though

Comment

Metal Slug - Neo
                Soldier Blade - PCE
                Bubble Bobble- Arcade
                Garou mark of the wolves - Neo
                Dracula X - PCE

I feel like I’ve been saying that for decades now. Oh wait, I have.

Comment

I'd be fine with just Super Mario Kart. However, my variety bonus pack would be:

Defender
                  Tetris
                  Donkey Kong
                  PacMan

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    I would probably go with...
                    • Alien Soldier - I've never finished it and find it very difficult; I'm sure I'd get weeks out of that

• Burnout 3 - Probably my favourite ever racing game (that doesn't hinge on multiplayer) which has loads of challenges to do, so that'd occupy some serious time.
                    It would be cool to become a master at Alien Soldier.

I'd be happy with any Burnout game from #2 onwards. They certainly have a lot to offer -- and you can keep trying to get better medals.

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                    3) Wave Race 64
                    I could easily choose Wave Race -- it's such an addictive experience that I always enjoy coming back to.

Originally posted by Colin View Post

I feel like I’ve been saying that for decades now. Oh wait, I have.
                    But maybe you'd regret not having Harmful Park to cheer you up with its crazy design?

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    I'd be fine with just Super Mario Kart.
                    A classic game that keeps on giving.

Comment

Wii Sports - checking my body age is something I never tire of, so this would be something I'd do every day.

Civ 2 - this is the best of a fantastically addictive series.

Age of Empires 2 - see above

Tetris - good puzzle games never get old.

Pilotwings 64 - sometimes it's fun just to chill out and enjoy the scenery.

I haven't picked any story-based games, in case I got stuck and didn't have the internet to find a walkthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        My list is made up of a range of titles that would not only interest me but also boost my spirits.
                        That's a very good point! With that in mind...

1) Hyper Street Fighter 2 (CPS2) - I need to have SF of some sort. It was hard to pick a single SF game but this way I can at least play with the old characters if I fancy it. 99% of my time with SF has been single-player so I don't mind the lack of competition.

2) Outrun 2006 C2C (Xbox) - for the music. And the powersliding. And the lovely courses

3) Streets of Rage 2 (MD) - for the music

4) Sega Rally (Saturn) or possibly the PS2 port. Not sure which is better. I love the Saturn version, though. I think it's perfect

5) Tetris (Gameboy, I guess?) - I never need to be in the mood for this

Last year I would've chosen Super Mario Kart in a heartbeat but since playing it on my SFC Mini, I find it infuriating!

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                        I haven't picked any story-based games, in case I got stuck and didn't have the internet to find a walkthrough.
                        Download the FAQs before you go!

Comment

Zelda LTTP - SNES
                          Alien 3 - MD
                          Mario Kart 64- N64
                          Castlevania IV- Snes
                          Tomb Raider - Psone

just missing out/or swapped out for.
                          F-Zero X- N64.(MK64 won out)
                          Castlevania SOTN - Psone (CV iv won out)

Comment

Lol. If I knew I was going, I'd make sure I didn't end up on a desert island.

Anyway, I've picked games which don't have a story to finish (solely) so that there's more replay value.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                              Lol. If I knew I was going, I'd make sure I didn't end up on a desert island.
                              I feel very silly right now.

So very, very silly

Comment

Working...
                              X