PSVR2: Next-Gen Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSVR2: Next-Gen Boogaloo

Although there has yet to be a proper announcement, it seems reasonably likely now that Sony is going to follow-up the PSVR with a second iteration, based on several patents.

A controller, which seems conceptually similar to the Valve Index:

A diagram of the headset, which according to the documentation appears to be wireless, and uses inside-out tracking, with a camera on the rear of the headset:

Now of course, patents never inform us of future plans with absolute certainty, but it's clear that they have ongoing technical work, and it seems reasonable at this point to expect a follow-up.

Shut up and take my money.

I skipped the first gen, which I regret honestly, so really looking forward to this.

Comment

I'm not sure Id jump to a new headset yet. I still think, with the PS5 powering it, it's still got life in it.
      However, I would want to replace the move controllers and, if the new PS5 camera offers better tracking I'd get that.
      Of course I say that, but once I see it I'll be wanting.

Comment

The current PSVR setup is great value for money but the resolution is too low. It’s a great unit it terms of ergonomics, frame rate and low screen door effect but even the cheap HP Windows mixed reality headset I tried earlier this year destroyed it for sheer clarity and image quality. Hopefully PSVR 2 will retain all the good points like the OLED panels and high frame rate but go for at least 1920 x 1080 per eye and wireless connection to the console.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          The current PSVR setup is great value for money but the resolution is too low. It’s a great unit it terms of ergonomics, frame rate and low screen door effect but even the cheap HP Windows mixed reality headset I tried earlier this year destroyed it for sheer clarity and image quality. Hopefully PSVR 2 will retain all the good points like the OLED panels and high frame rate but go for at least 1920 x 1080 per eye and wireless connection to the console.
          That would all be great.

My wishlist, though I doubt we'll get it, would be for Sony to make the PSVR2 the successor to the Vita, and basically try to do an Oculus Quest. Though I doubt we'll get that. I suspect what we'll have will work more like the WiiU, with a proprietary wireless connection to the console.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            That would all be great.

My wishlist, though I doubt we'll get it, would be for Sony to make the PSVR2 the successor to the Vita, and basically try to do an Oculus Quest. Though I doubt we'll get that. I suspect what we'll have will work more like the WiiU, with a proprietary wireless connection to the console.
            I feel like to become in any way mass market that's exactly what VR headsets need to do. But to be honest I'd probably prefer one that links wirelessly to a PS5, as it'd be capable of so much more.

Comment

The image quality and FOV were exceptional for the PSVR. A lot better than the Vive I ended up with.

I'd try to buy a console for PSVR2 in a heartbeat.

Comment

They need to go for revision and low cost entry. VR's latest moment to shine and gain traction is completely gone now so PSVR2 is unlikely to shift a reasonable amount of units unless the barrier for entry is set incredibly low. Make it lighter, wireless and better screen image but otherwise cost cut.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  I feel like to become in any way mass market that's exactly what VR headsets need to do. But to be honest I'd probably prefer one that links wirelessly to a PS5, as it'd be capable of so much more.
                  It could do both. I mean, the Quest does.

Comment

The only thing that really holds PSVR back is the controllers yes they are serviceable but they really do need that upgrade nice to see sony is planning on giving something decent to match the pc stuff, to be honest the low resolution of the current headset isn't a dealbreaker for me and i rarely seemed to struggle with that or the tracking like some people seemed to have problems with. In the games that made you turn around away from the camera (cough rick & morty cough) i learnt to twist in a way to make sure the camera could still see my hands. VR is probably again when i'll jump on getting a PS5 it's the one thing that made me get a PS4 after all. In the 40+ years of gaming it's the only thing that has been truly a game changing for me going from viewing games to been inside of them is like nothing else.

For a supposedly doomed gimmick periperal, it's been damn well supported both by sony and 3rd parties the game library is solid and there's a load of stuff in there for pretty much most gamers. Hell even with my liking for weird stuff i found more than plenty to keep me occupied and there's still at least a dozen or so games i want to buy off the PS store, my VR games library is pretty well rounded and full of the decent stuff. Both small indie style games and full on fleshed out stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      It could do both. I mean, the Quest does.
                      I didn't know that! That would be very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        For a supposedly doomed gimmick periperal, it's been damn well supported both by sony and 3rd parties the game library is solid and there's a load of stuff in there for pretty much most gamers. Hell even with my liking for weird stuff i found more than plenty to keep me occupied and there's still at least a dozen or so games i want to buy off the PS store, my VR games library is pretty well rounded and full of the decent stuff. Both small indie style games and full on fleshed out stuff.
                        For Sony, certainly, they've done their bit. For the third parties, I think that was due to SteamVR. SteamVR managed to genercise VR pretty well, so while the controllers/capabilities of the Index, Vive, Rift, Quest, PSVR etc. differ, they reached a level of parity that was similar enough that most of the same games work on them; e.g. see how titles like the Persistence and Superhot have enjoyed success on several platforms.

Sony's first-party games have been interesting in this regard, because Farpoint and Blood & Truth were very much made for PSVR; you almost never have to turn away from the camera in them. I found that some of the games obscure this well; Farpoint wasn't one of them - you really feel as though the whole game is moving you in one direction.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post

I don't agree with you on SONY. Other than Astrobot (which Ok is one of the best games EVER) they've hardly done anything with it and all their big AAA games have little or next to none VR support and the support for VR in GT Sports is a joke. Blood and Tell was nice as was Rush of Blood too but that's like it. SONY support for VR was like that of the VITA. The odd great game and great support at the start, but little else after...

It's been really left up to the 3rd parties.

Comment

Definitely keeping an eye on it. seems pointless to buy the last gen stuff now while its still so expensive when the next gen stuff is on its way.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              I don't agree with you on SONY. Other than Astrobot (which Ok is one of the best games EVER) they've hardly done anything with it and all their big AAA games have little or next to none VR support and the support for VR in GT Sports is a joke. Blood and Tell was nice as was Rush of Blood too but that's like it. SONY support for VR was like that of the VITA. The odd great game and great support at the start, but little else after...

It's been really left up to the 3rd parties.
                              Considering their appalling track record for supporting peripherals this time they have at least been doing something. Least there’s a vr section on the Sony store and there’s new games all the time. I remember the hmd Sony released on ps3 that worked with like 2 games before they canned it, in comparison it’s like night and day lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X