Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro consoles to modern TV - best options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro consoles to modern TV - best options?

I'm specifically thinking Dreamcast and Saturn but, given it could apply to other retro consoles too, I may as well not limit it to those. I still have all my old consoles running with their original scart leads. But are there good cost effective options to get older consoles looking decent on modern TVs? What are the best and simplest options?

OSSC is the only option you should consider.

Comment

OSSC is the simplest lag free option, just be aware you’re not getting exact 1080p out of it, you’re on either 960p and a 120 line black border or 1200p and missing 120 lines off the top. And that’s as long as your telly likes the signal it’s getting... monitors fare better.

XRGB Mini will give you 1080p as well as a frame or so of lag. And no VGA...

Oh, and I thought the overall picture quality from the OSSC was better

Comment

Thanks guys! That XRGB Mini seems really pricey. I'm only seeing the OSSC on one site. Where is the best place to look for these? Or is it just that one site?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Thanks guys! That XRGB Mini seems really pricey. I'm only seeing the OSSC on one site. Where is the best place to look for these? Or is it just that one site?
          Just the one site!

Comment

Cool, thanks! Are they easy enough to set up and get going?

Comment

Had mine going in minutes. There's a bunch of stuff you can tweak but for the most it is good to go out the box.

Comment

Fantastic. That sounds exactly what I need.

Comment

We can provide support here too as a bunch of us have them. Modern TVs tend to handle 720p really well so for 240p consoles the triple line option works well. For newer stuff you can tweak all sorts to get the geometry spot on. Unfortunately settings are a bit dependent on your TV.

The site that supplies the unit should have links to a table of TVs with results etc.

Comment

Thanks Brad!

Comment

I have both. They have good and bad points, but overall I'd recommend the OSSC. It doesn't simply output 720p or 1080p, but instead offers 2 to 5x 240, which means not all LCD televisions will work with all the modes. I was told that the device was created primarily as a line doubler though, so 2x should work perfectly with most LCD screens. I think 2x looks fine with 16-bit, 32-bit consoles and the Dreamcast. The OSSC delivers a clean, colourful image. I just plugged my SNES in and had it looking good straight away, so it can be easy to use. Just be prepared to maybe have to learn a few things when setting up particular consoles. There are 9 save profiles you can use, so that makes saving settings for each machine easy.

It's a shame the Framemeister went up in price, because it was around £180 when I bought mine a few years ago. Now it's just too expensive, so the OSSC is easily the better option. The FM outputting standard 720p & 1080p is nice though.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-09-2018, 16:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I'm specifically thinking Dreamcast and Saturn but, given it could apply to other retro consoles too, I may as well not limit it to those. I still have all my old consoles running with their original scart leads. But are there good cost effective options to get older consoles looking decent on modern TVs? What are the best and simplest options?
                        You can run the Dreamcast via VGA

Comment

DC always looks vertically squashed when using VGA (to my eyes). I'd stick with scart.
                          [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] OSSC only works with RGB. So, RGB scart is fine but if any of your consoles are just using composite scart connections that won't work.

Comment

Thanks Brad. I’ll need to check that.

Comment

Looks like it's already been decided but another vote for the OSSC here, love mine to bits.

Comment

Working...
                              X