Sandisk SD Card problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandisk SD Card problem

I bought a 'Sandisk Ultra 128GB' SD card. When I tried to use it, Windows says it needs formatting. It then said the card is only '31MB' in size. So I didn't format it. Instead I downloaded other formatting/partition tools to try and fix the problem. Unfortunately nothing will format it and display the correct size of the card. Even Windows says it can't format it. I've tested it on two different Win7 PCs that recognise all my other Sandisk cards.

Before I send it back to Mymemory, I just want to check if anybody knows a solution to this problem?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-09-2018, 05:00.

Sounds like a fake card?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
      Sounds like a fake card?
      I made sure to buy it from 'Mymemory' which I've used a lot in the past. I know that eBay and Amazon sellers sometimes sell fake cards so I used a company I trust.

I guess it's just a case of bad luck. I can return the card Freepost with a returns slip, so I know I'll get a refund.

I had a look around for info and some people have had this problem with Sandisk cards, so I might go for a Samsung card instead, seeing people are now saying Samsung are better than Sandisk.

Comment

It's not a fake card. All you need to do is download SD Card Formatter.

If you've been using images (such as Pi images) Windows can only read the boot partition, not the ext3/4 formats.

Download that, select the right drive letter and quick format, click the format button and you'll have all the space again.
        Last edited by MartyG; 27-09-2018, 07:07.

Comment

MartyG's very likely right. Just googling 'Sandisk sd card 31MB' is getting loads of results(often recommending SD card formatter).

My own Sandisk EVO 32GB microSD did the same thing - showed up as 31MB - after I was playing around with it on the Wii. Running diskpart and using the clean command didn't help, but the SD card formatter did. Still working fine two years later.

Fake cards would still hold a reasonable amount of data beyond 31MB because they're probably not using 32MB chips, more like 1-2GB or whatever's cheap at the time.
          Last edited by randombs; 27-09-2018, 08:31.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            It's not a fake card. All you need to do is download SD Card Formatter.

If you've been using images (such as Pi images) Windows can only read the boot partition, not the ext3/4 formats.

Download that, select the right drive letter and quick format, click the format button and you'll have all the space again.
            I hadn't used the SD card, Windows said there's a problem with it as soon as I inserted it. I've never had this problem with loads of other Sandisk cards I've used over the years.

I downloaded 'SD Card Formatter', but it says "Formatting failed" which is the same error I get with other formatting programs. This happens on two computers which accept other Sandisk cards, so the card must be a dud.

Originally posted by randombs View Post
            Fake cards would still hold a reasonable amount of data beyond 31MB because they're probably not using 32MB chips, more like 1-2GB or whatever's cheap at the time.
            Yeah, it's probably not fake, seeing it came from a legit company and was packaged like you'd expect. I'll send it back and buy a Samsung card instead. Maybe Sandisk's quality control has had problems? I've read that Samsung cards are now the better choice anyway, so I'll go for one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I hadn't used the SD card, Windows said there's a problem with it as soon as I inserted it. I've never had this problem with loads of other Sandisk cards I've used over the years.

I downloaded 'SD Card Formatter', but it says "Formatting failed" which is the same error I get with other formatting programs. This happens on two computers which accept other Sandisk cards, so the card must be a dud.

Yeah, it's probably not fake, seeing it came from a legit company and was packaged like you'd expect. I'll send it back and buy a Samsung card instead. Maybe Sandisk's quality control has had problems? I've read that Samsung cards are now the better choice anyway, so I'll go for one of them.
              This is what happens when you live in Shanghai half the year - see an SD card, KNOW it's fake

Comment

Yeah, get it changed if you’re in no mood to faff about. I think mine also failed a few times and I started the return process but then I got it going. Can’t remember how, but I may have used a MacBook with the built-in SD card reader. Might be worth trying something other than Windows if you haven’t already.

Comment

I'd try diskpart before returning it myself.

Comment

Worth a try, but SD Card Formatter does things at a lower level than a simple disc format so if that isn't working then it sounds more like a duff card.

I didn't realise that this was a brand new card fresh from the packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                      see an SD card, KNOW it's fake
                      I'm worried about buying a fake card, so I definitely don't use eBay. I have used 'Mymemory' a lot over the years and have always been happy. It's just bad luck with this particular card.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      I'd try diskpart before returning it myself.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...art-windows-10
                      It mentions that it's all about 'repairing' disks that aren't working properly. Seeing the card is fresh out of the packet, I think I'll just get a refund. I was hoping there was something simple I wasn't doing, but the card is definitely at fault.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

I didn't realise that this was a brand new card fresh from the packaging.
                      Yeah, brand new and the packaging looks legit. Mymemory let you print a returns label that's Freepost, so I'll just send it back. I will buy a Samsung card to play safe, because maybe there's a batch of faulty Sandisk cards out there.

Comment

I'd return it too as it's returning errors.

In future though you could always contact Sandisk if you concerned about it being an imitation. When I got my D610 a few years ago I bought a card in Japan and another back in the UK a week or so later, the UK one bought from Amazon looked completely different. I emailed Sandisk and after taking some details they confirmed it was OK and that it just a completely brand new design.

Comment

Diskpart. Easy command line tool to gain access to the full card.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                            I'd return it too as it's returning errors.
                            I've returned it. If you have a brand new card and it doesn't work out of the packet, then you shouldn't keep it.

Comment

Working...
                            X