Redout (PS4/XB1/PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redout (PS4/XB1/PC)

Good little game, this. It's been out for around a year therefore I'll keep these impressions brief cos folk are only interested in new stuff these days, aren't they? Yes, they are!

It's a futuristic racer like Wipeout & F-Zero but actually manages to rival both in terms of handling as it controls more like an aircraft than a car thanks to the analogue pitch and strafe mechanics. It's also incredibly fast. Too fast. Maybe the fastest game I've played. And one of the toughest. Oh and it runs in 4K @ 60fps.

There are a ton of ships to choose from separated into 4 different classes and every ship can be upgraded in 4 key areas. Furthermore each ship can fitted with 2 powerups, 1 active and 1 passive, and every powerup itself has 4 upgrades. And you'll find yourself swapping out powerups depending on the event. Speaking of events, there are 11 in total including time attacks, last man standing, pure races (no powerups allowed), regular races and even 'boss' events that link several courses together in an epic test of endurance.

Where the game struggles somewhat is track design. There's a load of 'em and they look good, and some are decent, but too many are poorly designed with loads of blind bends which prove a test of memory as much as anything. The other area the game struggles with is presentation. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the game's lead designers gave his son the job of presenting the game to try and get him off the dole or get him to stop smoking weed or something. From the loading screens to the celebratory screens to the whole structure of the game. it's bloody awful. Worse than awful.

Thankfully the core gameplay (the handling) is good enough to carry the game over its shortcomings and I've certainly been having fun with it. And I think fans of Wipeout and F-Zero will too.

Let your eyes be the judge:

Last edited by Zen Monkey; 01-11-2018, 15:35.

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    The other area the game struggles with is presentation. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the game's lead designers gave his son the job of presenting the game to try and get him off the dole or get him to stop smoking weed or something. From the loading screens to the celebratory screens to the whole structure of the game. it's bloody awful. Worse than awful.
    The fact that there's very second rate vibe about the whole game put me off buying it. The presentation and overall design feels very bland. But people do say it actually plays well with a good sense of speed, so I would be tempted to pick up a really cheap copy.

I'm still hoping for a new F-Zero -- which would be a reason for me to buy a Switch.

Comment

F-Zero and Wipeout are better games, for sure, but I'm having more fun with Redout than I did with Fast RMX on the Switch.

Comment

I was interested in this for the Switch, until it got canned earlier this year.

Comment

I picked this and the DLC up as it’s on sale this week and I fancied a bit of anti-grav action. Plus a friend liked the look of it and bought it so we could try the multiplayer.

We spent a few hours with just the two of us racing each other and working our way through the tracks. And we had a blast. Great fun.

i’ve now put a few hours into the single player campaign and have found the challenge and just one more go factor have sucked me in.

Also, I now need new eyes,

Comment

Working...
          X