Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I swap a JPN/US PS1 PSU with a UK one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I swap a JPN/US PS1 PSU with a UK one?

Hey,

I have both a JPN and US PS1 and rather than use a stepdown I had a thought that I could just buy a couple of UK PSU boards and replace them.

Can anyone confirm if this is okay to do?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes (ideally wait for confirmation from somebody else as I've not tried it), although you probably have to ensure you buy the right PSU for the hardware revision you're using (5000 series, 7000 series, etc).

Comment

Yep, you can.

I believe 5000 series and later should all be pin compatible. From my own experience there only appears to be two variations in pin-out, launch machines and then later units.

3000 Japanese units though... I'm not so sure. If you have a 5500, maybe try grab a 5502 just to be safe - for example.

Comment

Yes, you can in general. The PAL debug PS1 I have was actually a converted Japanese unit (presumably very early doors before Sony made proper UK debugs), still required a stepdown to use it until the power board went, and I got it repaired, but it was replaced with a UK board instead.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Yep, you can.

I believe 5000 series and later should all be pin compatible. From my own experience there only appears to be two variations in pin-out, launch machines and then later units.

3000 Japanese units though... I'm not so sure. If you have a 5500, maybe try grab a 5502 just to be safe - for example.
          I think I read somewhere that the scph-1000 units were unique to Japan (with s-video out), and the 3000 Japanese unit is what we had as a launch model in the UK (scph-1002). Version numbers worldwide started to line up with the 5000 series?
          Last edited by Hohum; 13-02-2018, 18:41.

Comment

Working...
          X