Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi - Changing Xbox Controller to SNES controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi - Changing Xbox Controller to SNES controller?

I downloaded a RetroPie image that is configured for an Xbox 360 controller. I managed to get the interface working with a SNES controller, but RetroArch shortcuts don't work. How do I configure the RetroArch shortcuts for 'enter RetroArch menu' and 'exit game'??? It's all configured for an Xbox controller.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I downloaded a RetroPie image that is configured for an Xbox 360 controller. I managed to get the interface working with a SNES controller, but RetroArch shortcuts don't work. How do I configure the RetroArch shortcuts for 'enter RetroArch menu' and 'exit game'??? It's all configured for an Xbox controller.
    It's under input settings in the RA GUI mate. I have it set up on PC and a Pi I set up recently. Should let you change keys manually. To clarify, look for 'hotkeys' in the input menu.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
      look for 'hotkeys' in the input menu.
      I will take a look and try to figure it out. Last time I tried changing settings, RetroArch stopped working properly with both controllers, so I had to format the card and start again. I wish RetroArch was as easy as setting up an emulator on a PC.

Comment

As I've said several times before the front-end that is RA is really set up to use one controller for all emulators (cores). It's a nightmare to use multiple controllers. On a PC I would just use multiple instances of RA running through Bigbox or something similar. For a Pi I just use a SNES pad or use more than one Pi per controller method.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          It's a nightmare to use multiple controllers.
          The guy who made the image set it up for an Xbox controller, but when I tried to change things for a SNES pad, it didn't work out well. I'm sure it's really simple once you understand how to do it, but learning can be a pain. It's definitely not a simple process for noobs. I will try my best to get my head around it.

Comment

I finally got it working by changing settings with a keyboard. But then I realised there isn't a 'favourites' folder, so I created one but when I 'favourite' a game it doesn't appear in the folder.

Also, when I'm in RetroArch I'm not getting the option to save options per game. It really can be a headache setting up RetroPie, RetroArch etc...
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-10-2018, 00:27.

Comment

I realised that this image is using an older version(1.3.6 instead of 1.7.1) of RetroArch, so there are some options missing. I worked it out though, so it's doing what I want now.

Also, a while back I was talking about some arcade games not working with my other image -- but all the old Taito and Sega games now work perfectly. So I will keep this older image because it works better in some departments.

Comment

Even though you got it sorted out, I'd recommend enabling the RA quick menu shortcut as well. It's in the input menu(I think it's above option that lets you swap the O and X buttons) and lets you choose a multi-button shortcut for the quick menu(e.g. down + L + R + Y, or L3+R3). It's separate from the hotkey setting so is controller-agnostic.

I've had situations where I've switched to another controller that doesn't have the button I'd configured for the RA menu and had to dig out my USB keyboard!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  Even though you got it sorted out, I'd recommend enabling the RA quick menu shortcut as well. It's in the input menu(I think it's above option that lets you swap the O and X buttons) and lets you choose a multi-button shortcut for the quick menu(e.g. down + L + R + Y, or L3+R3). It's separate from the hotkey setting so is controller-agnostic.
                  That's how I fixed the problem -- I used the RA quick menu shortcut and chose 'Start & Select' together to enter RA. I couldn't get it to work any other way.

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  and had to dig out my USB keyboard!
                  Yeah, it really helps to have a keyboard in case the controller stops working properly.

Comment

Working...
                  X