Clear All

Retro Arena: Early Konami Shooters

Scramble - 1981

Time Pilot - 1982

TwinBee - 1985

Gradius - 1985

Which one do you like the most?

Definitely Gradius.
    That upgrade system is still brilliant to this day.

Comment

You missed out Gyruss
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        You missed out Gyruss

I always like to have an even number of games to choose from. If you think Gyruss is better than the games featured, that makes the debate more interesting.

Comment

Twinbee Although the move to 16 Bit really did help it Pop...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            help it Pop...

Pop'n TwinBee is a great game. I played the SNES version a lot back in the day - and really loved the beautiful graphics and catchy tunes. Actually, some of the tunes in the SNES game are brilliant.

Comment

Time Pilot on the CBS. Used to love playing on the CBS, used to think it was Arcade perfect back then too lol

Comment

Pop n’ Twinbee is just a fantastic game overall... the sprite art is absolutely beautiful and everything is so damn adorable. It’s all very bright and colourful and the enemy design is just fantastic; some of the stuff you end up shooting is just nuts! This to me is the pure definition of fun and why I enjoy 8/16 Bit games from this short era so much.

It’s really one of my favourite games ever and one of the driving factors behind me wanting a Super nt.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Time Pilot on the CBS. Used to love playing on the CBS, used to think it was Arcade perfect back then too lol
                  I've never used a ColecoVision, but it looks like quite an impressive piece of kit for its time. It's a machine I'm tempted to buy and investigate.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

It’s really one of my favourite games ever and one of the driving factors behind me wanting a Super nt.
                  I'm definitely going to buy a Super Nt. The fact that it upscales the games and you can add scanlines to make the image look nice on an LCD - plus all the other benefits of the system, makes it a very attractive machine for fans of the SNES.

I'm sure that Pop'n TwinBee will look stunning on it.

Comment

I don't think any of the other three are even in the same league as Darius for me personally, cracking game to this day.

Comment

Scramble arcade, put loads of 10p's in it. The backing music - well just a sound - was really good.

Didn't see much of Time Pilot though, was on a C64 or Amiga collection I started playing it avidly.

Happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        even in the same league as Darius for me personally
                        I'd say Gradius is better.

I was playing Gradius on the PCE the other day and really enjoyed it.

Comment

That's been a brain melt, I meant to type Gradius.

Comment

Well obviously Gradius for me.

Comment

Ha ha ha!

Comment

Working...
                              X