Jet Force Gemini - Rare - 1999

Mario Golf - Nintendo - 1999

Super Smash Bros - Nintendo - 1999

Perfect Dark - Rare - 2000

Mario Tennis - Nintendo - 2000

Sin & Punishment - Nintendo - 2000

Majora's Mask - Nintendo - 2000

Excitebike 64 - Nintendo - 2000

Choose 3 games from this collection of N64 classics.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-12-2018, 19:15.

Super Mario 64 - Nintendo - 1996

Wave Race 64 - Nintendo - 1996

These would be my 3 from that list, wanted to mix up the genres a bit, Wave Race just pipped F-Zero X to a spot for me, I really could play either of these for hours, just shaving seconds off in time trial..

If you’d had 1080 on the list it would have been an even closer call, one of my favourite time trial games of all time..

Mario 64 because I can just potter around it it for hours doing flips and climbing trees

Sin and punishment for a massive action fix, good challenge and crazy set pieces..

Comment

It’s almost perfect timing this thread has been created, I’m currently considering getting back in the game with a Japanese N64 or Saturn!

The N64 had some great games and personally, Wave Race 64, Perfect Dark and GoldenEye are my favourite. Those aren’t just great games, they still hold up wonderfully today and I frequently consider buying a console back just to play them.

I used to adore Super Mario 64 but the new Mario games are so extraordinary, the sheen of 64 has been taken off and I’m not as fond to go back to that game. Yet, FPS’s have progressed so little, GoldenEye & PD still feel unique enough (And feel great) I want to go back.

Also, no Zelda?!

Comment

I'm surprised, watching videos, how much WaveRace has aged.

Comment

I have never played Mystical Ninja and have always wanted to. I think I have spoken about this before

I managed to get a cart of it at a flea marked with a ripped sticker (cart only) back in the early days of the Gamecube and it turned out to be the sequel.
          About 12 years ago I managed to get a boxed copy second hand somewhere and some nostalgic dvd's whilst shopping with a friend and planned to watch with her the next day after sleeping over at her place and then go home to play MN. We went to a bar to meet up with some other friends before we headed back and it wasn't until I woke up the next morning I realised I had left the bag with the game and dvd's in the bar.

Never got them back and never seen a boxed copy since.

I really fancy playing Myschief Makers again and Super Mario 64.

Bonus choices would be Banjo Kazooie as it's one of my favorite games ever and Perfect Dark as I never got to complete it.
          Last edited by Blobcat; 02-12-2018, 17:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Wave Race has never looked that good in screenshots or videos, but once you play it, even after a long break it just feels right, it’s the feel of the waves, the way they pick up your jet ski and carry it forward, it still feels right after all these years.. at least it does to me

Why I can still go back to Wave Race 64 but I have not touched Blue Storm in years even though it looks so much better..

Comment

Mario 64
              Wave Race 64
              GoldenEye

No OoT?!

Comment

Originally posted by MiG View Post
                Super Mario 64 - Nintendo - 1996

Wave Race 64 - Nintendo - 1996

All great N64 games that are still worth playing.

Wave Race just pipped F-Zero X to a spot for me, I really could play either of these for hours, just shaving seconds off in time trial..
                Wave Race also just pips F-Zero X as my favourite N64 racer. It's a game I always enjoy going back to.

If you’d had 1080 on the list it would have been an even closer call, one of my favourite time trial games of all time..
                I went back and added 1080 and a few others. I remember how special 1080 was at the time.

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                It’s almost perfect timing this thread has been created, I’m currently considering getting back in the game with a Japanese N64 or Saturn!
                Maybe the list of games and screenshots will inspire you to grab a Japanese N64 and some games. Most games are still quite cheap.

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                Also, no Zelda?!
                I just went back and added Majora's Mask.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-12-2018, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Well, it always looked a bit blocky with really low polygon models. But the wave effects and overall vibrant design has always made it a nice experience. I still enjoy the variety between the courses and how the wave physics feel. Easily one of my favourite retro racers.

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                  We went to a bar to meet up with some other friends before we headed back and it wasn't until I woke up the next morning I realised I had left the bag with the game and dvd's in the bar.
                  That's such a shame. You obviously still feel quite gutted about it.

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                  I really fancy playing Myschief Makers again and Super Mario 64.

Bonus choices would be Banjo Kazooie as it's one of my favorite games ever and Perfect Dark as I never got to complete it.
                  I was playing Mario 64 the other week and it's still a nice game to explore. It might look very dated, but there's still a lot of charm that reminds you why it was such a big thing back in the day.

Why I can still go back to Wave Race 64 but I have not touched Blue Storm in years even though it looks so much better..
                  Blue Storm is OK, but I much prefer Wave Race. There's something about the graphics and feel of the game that appeals to me much more than what's on offer in Blue Storm.

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                  No OoT?!
                  I decided to put Majora's Mask instead, to see what people think of it. I think it's a game that divides opinion.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-12-2018, 18:02.

Comment

Mario Kart 64
                    Goldeneye
                    Starfox 64.

And Zelda oot would be top, but not on the list.

Comment

In order:
                      Excitebike
                      Sin & Punishment

1080 is one of the all time greats. It handles so perfectly. Massively benefits from NTSC speed though.

Excitebike is just fun doing big jumps, and the unlockables are epic.

S&P is an action game like no other, only bested by the sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                        Starfox 64.
                        It's still an awesome game.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                        And Zelda oot would be top, but not on the list.
                        I realise my mistake, so it's now included.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          Massively benefits from NTSC speed though.
                          I think a lot of PAL N64 games suffer in many ways.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          Excitebike is just fun doing big jumps, and the unlockables are epic.
                          It's a shame it came out so late in the machine's life. Definitely still worth going back to.

Comment

Kudos to the N64. That's a very hard selection to choose just three from.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - an obvious choice, and no, it's not just about stomping across Hyrule Field in 3D for the first time. It's the game that spoiled the Jp Dreamcast launch for me. I got a DC with VF3tb and then a week later I got the HK release of OOT. It held me from the instant I was in control, right to finale. And by the end I felt like I'd been on a proper adventure, through sadness and sorrow to an uplifting ending that felt like watching Star Wars for the first time. Epic. Full of amazing moments and memories.

Pilotwings 64 - the Jp launch was so exciting, and I enjoyed Pilotwings 64 even more than Mario 64. Loved the islands, the missions, the characters, the controls, the happy vacation feeling. Beautiful game. A real one-off.

Blast Corps - what a great concept for a game ... and who doesn't love destroying stuff, drifting a truck through silos and farmhouses? It was presented wth a ton of character too, with fun vehicles and environments. Highly original. Rare were something else back then.

Comment

Wave Race always had blocky characters but the actual water looked gorgeous and still does.

I can't get into Blue Storm at all. It was the game I first bought with my Game Cube, and it is my most disappointing launch purchase of any console.

For me::

Wave Race
                              Pilot Wings
                              Lylat Wars

If it had been there, I would have replaced Lylat Wars with WCW/NWO Revenge, for its fantastic Battle Royale mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X