No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so addicted to playing PCE games again I had to come up with an alternative for while I'm away in the hotel this week instead of the Vita, this OpenEmu isn't too bad at all. On tonights playlist will be some PCE shmups and the firemen on SFC since another thread planted the seed for a replay!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      I need to work out how to drift properly.

At the moment, I'm taking a corner, do the brakey-turn powerslide and my car just pivots about 43 degrees and then tries to drive off the course at that angle.
      The game becomes a lot more fun if you switch to manual gears. To drift you can just shift down a gear and turn then shift back up to keep your speed.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I need to work out how to drift properly.
          Very easy, don't break.

Use manual gears. Before making the turn shift down 1 gear, then immediately shift up.

Comment

Thanks, chaps.
            I normally avoid manual, but I'll try that out.
            I literally tried it for a minute when I should have been feeding my daughter.
            My penance was cleaning up her Thomas The Tank Engine spaghetti shapes she spilled.

She should really know better at 27.

Comment

It is such an addictive, big grin across your face, oodles of fun to play game QC. Thou shalt enjoy it.

Config your buttons correctly though to get that gear shift drift popping as the arrangement does make a lot of difference to the feel so check which ones you like best and then its Magical Sound Shower all the way

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                Magical Sound Shower all the way
                Glad to see another Magical Sound brother!

Comment

Another member of the Magical Sound Shower fraternity here. Never Splash Wave!

Shift drifting makes it more fun, but even just playing with accelerate/brake to drift it's one of the best games ever made. These days I usually play on PSP for the convenience. So much fun <3

Comment

Magical Sound Shower and Sandstorm (from Gradius 3) are my favourite tracks.

Comment

Keep Your Heart is always my go to track on Coast 2 Coast, it might even be my favourite Outrun track ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                        Glad to see another Magical Sound brother!

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Another member of the Magical Sound Shower fraternity here. Never Splash Wave!

Shift drifting makes it more fun, but even just playing with accelerate/brake to drift it's one of the best games ever made. These days I usually play on PSP for the convenience. So much fun <3
                        Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
                        Magical Sound Shower and Sandstorm (from Gradius 3) are my favourite tracks.
                        Heck yes! The tune and its vibe just fits the whole style so well and just adds more joy laden sprinkles on top of an already spectacular Ferrari shaped cake.

The PSP version is also technically stunning and I think I've put the most time into that version too just due to it being a handheld and the convenience it offers but just look at it:

Beautiful.

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
                        Keep Your Heart is always my go to track on Coast 2 Coast, it might even be my favourite Outrun track ever.
                        I'll pretend you didn't say that. This time.

Comment

Dug out the Saturn versions of Warcraft II and Discworld 2 to see if either supported the mouse, but they don't.

Still really good titles, the animation in the second Discworld game really was top notch, looks far better than the rendered graphics used for the third game.

Comment

Noir always disappointing me

Comment

Sonic Adventure 2 (PS3 remaster)
                              This was on special, never played it before (despite loving the first on Dreamcast), so thought I'd try it.

Bloody awful. Feels like one of the worst games I've played in a long time. The camera is glitched to hell, causing regular instant deaths because it gets trapped on scenery. I also miss the hub worlds to explore. People say the pacing is better in this, but it's not. It schizophrenically jumps from one character to another, unlike previously where you could play for several hours with the same character, and get in a groove. I don't even like the character mechanics here. The treasure hunt missions are boring and take AGES to clear. The Tails missions are slow and stupidly tough. The Sonic level are irritating. I nearly rage quit on the reverse gravity stage because not only was the camera having a seizure, but it was flipped upside down to simulate "reverse gravity". Who thought this was a good design idea?

I also hate the fact that to unlock things you need to collect all the emblems, which is insanely difficult. Not because it's a challenging game, but because the controls and camera will screw you at every opportunity.

Graphics and music are still top notch, but mechanically it's like a rotted corpse inside. Awful, just awful. More than anything it's just not fun, there's no semblance of fun at any point, in any of the levels, for any of the actions.

I cannot believe this was the pinnacle of games back in 2001. It is absolute ****ing trash.

I'm wondering if my love for the first DC game is because it was excellent, or just nostalgia? I've got the remaster on GC, which I can emulate widescreen, so I might dive in and see how my memories live up. I have not played it since completing with all the characters back in 1999, nearly 20 years ago.

Comment

I don’t think anyone anywhere at anywhen has ever claimed SA2 was the pinnacle of gaming. Nor should they because it’s crap. As are most Sonic games. Especially the 3D ones. Definitely Kmart.

Comment

Working...
                                X