No announcement yet.

Playstation 4: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the best idea is to hold off for a year so the 'community' can build some stuff. Then look at a list of the best made stuff and judge it from there.

Comment

It's pretty much the case. Dreams is literally Mm looking at LBP and saying let's remake this but for 3D stuff instead of 2D. The creator allows for a wide enough array of ideas but they've not improved the areas they really needed to so you get stuff in different genres but they all share the same issue, controlling like utter crud. Waiting 12 months will be key, it'll drop fast in price and you'll get the best possible experience skipping the long wait for the community.

Comment

Comment

These people seem to like it:

Hands On: Dreams Is Arguably PS4's Most Impressive Exclusive Yet

"Dreams is going to win awards, and we don’t just mean gongs of the Geoff Keighley kind. No, we’re talking real-world innovation awards – the likes of which Media Molecule’s going to have to collect in tuxedos as opposed to its usual hipster threads. The game’s been a long time coming, with the developer first demonstrating the very origins of the project all the way back at the PlayStation 4’s reveal event in 2013 – but good grief is it onto something special here."

Comment

Okay - So, Dreams...

You start with largely the same set up and options as you got in LBP, a much less charming than Stephen Fry Scottish lady guides you through the options and controls as the immediate dawning hits you that you're playing a reskinned LBP in many ways. The tutorial isn't too long but it is dull and dry, eventually you can get into the community options and whip through a simple scroll right menu system to try things out. Now, the first thing to note is that the numerous Youtube videos aren't entirely accurate ways to judge Dreams.

There are some visually impressive demo's, one being an overhead trainline metro street scene that is currently being worked into an FPS game. Visually it's up there with the very best of what's been made in Dreams so far and started as a visual demo. It looks very good but at the same time on an actual PS4 not so good at the same time. The visual engine for Dreams has been set up to have a soft, furry textured look most of the time. I think it's to emphasise the dream like marketing angle but it can mean the visuals take a hit and most people watching youtube vids will miss this because of the video compression. Never the less, the creation engine is clearly robust in terms of what can be made

I haven't done much with the creation options myself, it's always been one of the most boring aspects of any game that's included it for me, making stuff just isn't fun. In Dreams it seems to use a menu/motion control mixture to let you place things exactly as you want. The motion controls are very fluid, no doubt from Mm's experience on Tearaway, but even placing stairs in the tutorial area was enough to put me off the creation tools. Cumbersome would be the word.

As is always the case with these types of games, especially in their early days, there's mostly an array of stuff that's not worth your time. It currently doesn't take long to see the best of what's been made and the biggest issue is universal across the board - the controls. They're awful, everything plays poorly and the added dimension of play sometimes really adds to how bad they are. That the Mm tutorial doesn't play well either doesn't bode well as Dreams could do with letting creators have full control of everything that affects player speed, movement etc but it doesn't look like that will be the case just as it wasn't in LBP.

If Dreams ends up coming with some single player content that can touch on what made Tearaway such a great experience there could be good value here but without that component you're looking at something that may - may - be worth picking up towards the end of the PS4's run.

Comment

Quantic Dreams are going multiformat. I kind of expect their games to perform less well now as I think the 1st party profile appearance helped them a lot

Comment

My PS4 is so noisy that...

Please feel free to end my sentence in an amusing way.

Comment

My PS4 is so noisy that the PM can’t hear Europe telling her the deal isn’t up for further negotiation.

Comment

My Ps4 is so noisy that it sounds like it doesn't make that much noise at all most of the time

Comment

My ps4 is so noisy that my neighbors got a noise order taken out against me that prohibits me from hoovering after 10pm in the evening.

Comment

My PS4 is so noisy that... Something-something Brannigan's mustard crisps.

Comment

My PS4 is so noisy that...it makes the Dreamcast feel extremely jealous and belittled.

Comment

My PS4 is so loud my other half thought I was blow drying my hair at midnight.

Comment

My PS4 is so noisy I'm a bit disappointed in it

Comment

My PS4 is so noisy this man burst into my living room trying to land it.
                                Last edited by importaku; 30-01-2019, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X