No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I guess the look is closer to a PC now due to the way console architecture had gone, but yeah I won't know where to put that in my entertainment alcove.

Comment

Surely announcing a new console should set the world alight, this seems to have been met with a collective shrug.

Comment

Honestly, it immediately smacks of old mistakes. Other than the cubic shape the design aesthetic absolutely reeks of Xbox One which is such a fundamental error given the broad failure of that system. The naming is also poor, following on from the Xbox One X it has that same Wii/WiiU air to it making it seem more like another iterative SKU rather than a brand new platform. Given the reality that the Xbox One X was nothing more than a small niche option it's not the impression MS needs to be making with a new console.

They badly need to blow the cobwebs off the Xbox brand and nothing about the XSX does this. So far it feels like the stars are aligning again for PS5 to deck out the Xbox as a rival once again.

Comment

The naming is weird and it could be a bit confusing for non-gamers buying consoles for their gaming loved ones. "Which one you want love? One, One S, One X, Series X?". Mum face melt. Okay probably not.
          Last edited by hudson; 13-12-2019, 07:41.

Comment

You can lay it horizontally but it still looks like it's going to be a tight fit if positioned that way.

Name is stupid but if they're pushing for trickle down compatibility across systems and generations it makes sense.

Comment

Terrible name , but couldn't give a monkey's with the system awesome spec and game Pass . Can't wait

Comment

I've no issue with the name for that reason. It has full backwards compatibility and it's continuing the X level series... It also looks like the X's big brother so I guess that's also a clue as to where it sits in the whole family.

I'm not that enthusiastic about the mini tower design for the same space reasons mentioned above but if it doesn't fit horizontally it'll probably look fine sat to the side like my sub woofer does. It's pretty unassuming other than the tower shape. Really need some size dimensions of it. It might still be smaller than it first appears... The X is actually tiny compared to the OG model.

I have to say I prefer it in comparison to the current PS5 V wedge dev kit design. To me that looks too weird so hope Sony do something a little more standard for the finished design.

Comment

Sony need to hit back hard with the PlayStation series PlayStation StationPlay

Comment

Because it's still an xbox one, I take it the new games are going to run on older xbox ones?

Comment

I quite like the look. Judging by the controller, the console sits about 40cm high, and 16cm square on the base, so it's definitely not PC case size (about the same height as a mid tower, but footprint around 3rd).
                      Last edited by MartyG; 13-12-2019, 08:18.

Comment

I really like the design.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          Because it's still an xbox one, I take it the new games are going to run on older xbox ones?
                          Yes, though I would also figure it'll get exclusives eventually. This is just like the top tier in an ecosystem, bit like the iPhone Pro etc...
                          Last edited by nonny; 13-12-2019, 08:26.

Comment

Yup, had I need for one I could definitely fit it in somewhere, I suppose the best way up will depend on where it draws air in.

Branding is definitely its biggest weakness. Given the power of the system will end up being a redundant aspect given PS5 will run too close to it in that regard, their software line up always pales in comparison and the name is guff MS will be better off to focus on sharp branding and on Game Pass

Comment

If people had room for a PS3 or the old Xbox 360 I would imagine they have room for this , given its not much bigger than a pad (more so width ways ). Doesn't look that bad either imo

Comment

I wonder whether if the two SKU rumour is true the other model won't be a tower design to make the distinction even clearer?

Comment

Working...
                                X