Life as a Parent 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    For a xmas treat the kids get to watch a Hostel/Human Centipede double bill.
    You know, I might just check what the school's Christmas film is this year.

Comment

By the sounds probably this

Comment

[MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] I read your post to both my wife and my mother-in-law (she's a semi-retired infant teacher) and both were appalled at what has happened.

I cant help but feel this should have been a letter home for parental consent situation at which point (I hope) multiple parents would have shut that idea down.

I'm 37 and thinking about the Bulger case still freaks me out. A few months back when there was news of one of the culprits on TV it made me feel sick to think about so goodness knows what a 12 year old thinks.

Comment

Thanks for that teddy, that's exactly how I feel. I've had no luck getting a callback from the school yet so I've written and email to his year head. My biggest priority is stopping it from happening again (the curriculum features another high profile case, though not quite as bad).

Comment

Two magic words to mention in a letter, safeguarding and ofsted.

Comment

[MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] my wife is an assistant head and I've just relayed what's happened.

She's in agreement that it was inappropriate and possibly they were too young for the film shown.

She's has suggested that you write to the Chair of Governors if you don't get a satisfactory response from the school.

Failing that, get onto Ofsted.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION]I'm 37 and thinking about the Bulger case still freaks me out. A few months back when there was news of one of the culprits on TV it made me feel sick to think about so goodness knows what a 12 year old thinks.
                Probably not the same as you? I’m not defending this being shown for an instant, but a 12-year-old is unlikely to have the same visceral reaction, because they weren’t around at the time. Possibly a bit like the Moors murders for our generation. I remember being shown videos of piles of dead Jews being literally bulldozed into mass graves during the war in history lessons. No less horrendous, but there is a similar degree of detachment.

Comment

Worth going back a few posts to read the actual reaction that was the starting point of this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    She's has suggested that you write to the Chair of Governors if you don't get a satisfactory response from the school.
                    I hadn't thought of that. Good call. If I keep hitting a brick wall with the school I'll do just that. Please pass on my thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I hadn't thought of that. Good call. If I keep hitting a brick wall with the school I'll do just that. Please pass on my thanks
                      I told you the magic words! I didn’t sit over an hour for a safeguarding lecture last week for nothing (for once lol).

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        I told you the magic words! I didn’t sit over an hour for a safeguarding lecture last week for nothing (for once lol).
                        I know, and I really appreciate all the advice mate, thanks I just hadn't thought of the govs that's all. It's not really my style to go in guns blazing or dishing out threats but saying that my slightly-softer-but-no-less-direct approach has yielded zero response as yet ... so maybe I'll have to change tact. All the responses here have definitely convinced me it's not just me ... and that's been a huge help

Comment

How is everyone coping with the excitement of Christmas looming?

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                            How is everyone coping with the excitement of Christmas looming?
                            All very much in the zone thanks to a double-bill of The Christmas Chronicles and Elf last night

Comment

Harry is very excited about Christmas Day and Santa's imminent visit.

Nancy still a bit going to know what's going on but she knows something is up!

The wife and I don't feel Christmassy at all though.

Comment

Think it’s time to post this.

Mini Prinny was born on 7th January at 12.48pm, weighing in at 7lb 8oz.

Quite the miracle - we were told that children were an impossibility.

He’s a yowling, twisty-faced moaner, full of wind. He’s inherited all my best points.

Comment

Working...
                                X