No announcement yet.

The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of new cars anyone seen this new 2021 BMW M4 abomination. What were they thinking with the “beaver teef” not my quote. Not sure where people lost the ability to design cars of late. With this and the recent gaping front facias of most modern cars.

Last edited by JU!; 13-06-2020, 17:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      A few years off it, he'd be using the standard belt under the exemptions rules
      A child must use a child car seat until they’re 12 years old or when they reach 135cm tall according to UK seat belt laws and child car seat rules. Learn more.

We've got a seat so if I was travelling with all three on my own for some reason he would go in the front in his child seat but in the full car there's no room for a third child restraint and replacing the car is 110% not on the table. Fortunately the bulk of journey's with that scenario would be when we pick the kids up from my parents after work which is literally a three minute drive. But on the occasions where we went further afield like a day out in the summer where the car is needed, it is what it is as there's not the space for the missus to sandwich herself in between the rear child seats so he can ride up front given the young ages of SF2 and 3.

Can the eldest not sit in the front if you turn off the air bags and just use a booster?

Comment

I saw the preview of that at Frankfurt last year and can’t believe they went with it after all the criticism it received. But apparently it’s a look certain markets like. And remember the reactions to the Bangle era BMWs and they aged rather gracefully.

Comment

Hey guys,

Quick question for you all but what criteria do you look for in a used car?
          for example...how old do you conisder too old before it hits the no pile?

I mean I'm currently trying to whittle down a shortlist but trying to decide on what I'd consider too old to look at is becoming difficult.
          My current car is a 2012 Mazda 3 so I want something newer than 2012 but would you think a car that's a 2015 model be too old?
          My budget means that I can get a failry good car that's 1-2 years old or it also means that if I go for a car tha't around 5 years old I can get something fairly bonkers
          If the mileage is low & full History would you consider a 5 year old car?
          My only worry is that I normally keep a car for between 4-5 years so by the time I'm changing it's going to be around 10 years old whereas going more sensible means I could have a 6 year old car by the end of term

What would you do??

Neil

Comment

Might as well post it here as this forum likes weird stuff from Japan, I'm currently fixing up this Nissan Laurel taxi I bought years ago. They look after their taxis over there so it isn't in as awful condition as you'd expect a high-mileage old taxi to be, but it does need some parts (when I got it, the last MOT was very dubious). I got it when I didn't have much spare money and it has quite a long to-do list but I'm on it now.

As the old occupancy sign and meter are a bit dead, I've sourced replacements from Japan which are on the way. Get your yen out, I want paying.

FAQs
            Q. Is it a real taxi?
            A. Yes, I have the old paperwork and some of the equipment was still present. It came from a company in Okayama that still exists.

Q. Why was it imported?
            A. Absolutely no idea, it came here when the exchange rate was favourable presumably as some kind of novelty as they'd left all the taxi stuff installed.

Q. Does it have one of those automatic opening/closing rear doors?
            A. Yes, I have a mechanical lever to do it and it works even while you're driving at speed.

Q. Why did you buy it?
            A. It's a laugh, innit.

Comment

Soundwave, I wouldn’t be concerned about having a ten year old car. My vRS is nearly ten years old and only problem I’ve had with it was a spark plug misfired once. And I replaced the battery about a week ago. Modern motors are pretty reliable and well built.
              My tip for looking at used cars is check the tyres first. Ask if the dealer has fitted any new tyres, if not see which brand is on the car. If someone can’t be bothered to fit good quality tyres,which are a such a critical item, then has the vehicle been properly maintained?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                Soundwave, I wouldn’t be concerned about having a ten year old car. My vRS is nearly ten years old and only problem I’ve had with it was a spark plug misfired once. And I replaced the battery about a week ago. Modern motors are pretty reliable and well built.
                My tip for looking at used cars is check the tyres first. Ask if the dealer has fitted any new tyres, if not see which brand is on the car. If someone can’t be bothered to fit good quality tyres,which are a such a critical item, then has the vehicle been properly maintained?
                Thanks man

Agree on the tyres, I've never scrimped on them & always had the best I could afford.
                Still remember having my Clio 172 & when I was living at home going through 3 sets in about as many months because I wasn't happy with the way they felt, finally settled on some BF Goodrich as they were best of all worlds
                Think a good History & reasonable mileage are also worth noting.

I mean it's realistically only going to be 10 years old around the time I'm getting ready to replace it.
                previously I'd never look at buying a car over 3 years old but there seems to be so much available at the 5 year mark at the moment it seems daft to avoid at least considering them

I mean for budget going 1-2 years old I'm looking at -

Leon Cupra 290
                Golf R or GTI TCR
                Audi S3
                Megane RS280 or Trophy 300
                Hyundai i30N Performance
                Focus RS
                Civic Type R (IF I can get over that overly exaggerated styling lol)

But if I drop back to 2015/2016 cars I could consider -

Audi RS3
                BMW M2 (Probably a touch too small if I'm being honest)
                BMW M3
                BMW M4
                Porsche Panamera
                Maserati Ghibli (That said I could probably get a 3 year old one of these within budget)
                Merc C43

So yeah it's fast, sensible & nearly new or fast, sort of sensible & totally barmy

Neil

Comment

[MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] Get the Ghibli!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                    Might as well post it here as this forum likes weird stuff from Japan, I'm currently fixing up this Nissan Laurel taxi I bought years ago. They look after their taxis over there so it isn't in as awful condition as you'd expect a high-mileage old taxi to be, but it does need some parts (when I got it, the last MOT was very dubious). I got it when I didn't have much spare money and it has quite a long to-do list but I'm on it now.

As the old occupancy sign and meter are a bit dead, I've sourced replacements from Japan which are on the way. Get your yen out, I want paying.

FAQs
                    Q. Is it a real taxi?
                    A. Yes, I have the old paperwork and some of the equipment was still present. It came from a company in Okayama that still exists.

Q. Why was it imported?
                    A. Absolutely no idea, it came here when the exchange rate was favourable presumably as some kind of novelty as they'd left all the taxi stuff installed.

Q. Does it have one of those automatic opening/closing rear doors?
                    A. Yes, I have a mechanical lever to do it and it works even while you're driving at speed.

Q. Why did you buy it?
                    A. It's a laugh, innit.
                    That's really cool. Nice one!

I'd love to see pictures as you progress with the work on it, especially of the interior (I don't know much about cars so anything on the engine side would be lost on me).

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      @Soundwave Get the Ghibli!!
                      Lol I am very tempted, but not sure if it's a bit too old man
                      Have seen this one near me though -

Seems a bit more expensive than some other '15 cars but the colour really makes it pop & not look as old man

Neil

Comment

IT'S A DIESEL?!??!??!!!?!

Avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          IT'S A DIESEL?!??!??!!!?!

Avoid.
                          Yeah sadly the Maserati & Porsche are diesels the Petrol equivalents are rarer & more expensive

I am looking to come away from Diesel this time round if I'm honest but the lure to finally own a Porsche or a Maserati is quite strong

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            I got acknowledged by a fellow Type-R driver this morning. That's right bitches, I'm official now.
                            I bought a second gen Impreza just before Christmas. It's the first decent car I've ever owned andI've been taking full advantage of the empty roads during the lockdown. I passed another Impreza driver recently and we gave each other a wave. It's ridiculous how happy that made me

Comment

Why are people coming away from Diesel? Last year I picked up a top spec focus 1.7TD (not as exotic as some of yours!) and its more economical and quicker if thats your bag than the ecoboost equivalent.

I got it in race red too so it looks great!

Is it government pressure and potential bottoming out for resale? I plan on keeping it for a good while and getting pennies for it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by JU! View Post
                                Can the eldest not sit in the front if you turn off the air bags and just use a booster?
                                In most instances nope as the space between the two car seats in the back is too narrow for the missus to squeeze into (much as she'd love to sit with the kids). The joys of a hatchback

Comment

Working...
                                X